UKC

DynaFit boot wtr compatibility?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ShoePolice 23 Feb 2018

Hi, I've just bought some DynaFit radical ST boots with the intention of getting some pin bindings *at some point*. Meantime, I'm trying to establish whether the boots are compatible with my Salomon Guardian WTR bindings but can't find a definitive answer. Anyone able to say for sure?

daWalt 23 Feb 2018
In reply to ShoePolice:

> Anyone able to say for sure?

no - but.

From memory about 6 years ago Dynafit screwed up a bit with one of their boot models (can't remember exactly which ones). The toe-lug was not shaped properly to function as a binding attachment - at first glance it looked like a normal boot, but the lug was essentially too short. This caused some confusion overt their suitability for a frame binding - It was later made clear (I read it Bergundsteigen, and was specific to one boot model) that these boots categorically should not be used in anything other than pin bindings.

I don't know what you have uncovered in your research - hopefully not some hangover from this previous uncertainty. I have not heard of this problem reoccurring since.......

I would expect that they wont produce something similar again in this day and age. If it looks like a binging-lug and not just a crampon bail grove I would take it as ok for a frame binding. [maybe just me :-/ shrug....]

(n.b. I haven't any 1st hand experience of Sal frame bindings - so I'm assuming that these can adjust like any other touring frame binding and you can raise the toe-piece to the right height)

galpinos 23 Feb 2018
In reply to ShoePolice:

Assuming you mean radical, not radical st (radical ST are binding, radical boots I think) then no. However....

Are you sure the Guardians are WTR not MNC? If they are WTR, they are not compatible (as they require an antifriction plate and the Radical has a lugged sole) if they MNC you'll be ok.

daWalt 23 Feb 2018
In reply to galpinos:

well spotted - I hadn't realized Walk-To-Ride was a thing.....

galpinos 23 Feb 2018
In reply to daWalt:

Got to cash in on the "freeride" market somehow. There was a competing binding standard as well so only some boots were compatible with some bindings. Ridiculous!

OP ShoePolice 23 Feb 2018
In reply to ShoePolice:

thanks for the replies. My Guardians are the old / original WTR, so looks like a definite "no". I think....

HammondR 23 Feb 2018
In reply to ShoePolice:

One of my regular ski chums has Radical boots. They are not compatible with AF plates. Really running the risk of not releasing in an accident with all kinds of unpleasant consequences likely in that event. You only have one set of legs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...