UKC

Early December skiing recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 19 Aug 2019

I'm looking for recommendations for early season ski resorts in the Alps. I'm looking for somewhere with a high chance of decent snow, a good amount of pistes, and access to some interesting back country.

Last year I spent the first week of December in Tignes and had nice conditions, and was able to do some side country touring on the closed pistes, as well as a bit of back country for the mornings, and then bomb around the pistes in the afternoons.

I could go to Tignes again, but it would be interesting to see if there's any good alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Arcturus 19 Aug 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

Val Thorens is usually good for early snow. Goes up high and some good access to off piste routes. St Martin gives fairly quick access to Val Thorens if you don't want to stay in Thorens itself.

Alpe d Huez has some fantastic off piste , some of which is pretty hard core, as well as a good range of interesting long piste runs. The resort is often overlooked by U.K. Skiers who mistakenly think it is a cruisers' resort. 

There is also La Grave of course but no pistes at all there and personally I think it is best with plenty of snow which can be a bit iffy in early December. But easily accessible from Alpe d Huez so you might combine the two.

earlsdonwhu 19 Aug 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

If you mean the first two weeks in December,  remember few resorts will even be open then. 

I would be tempted to book a flight eg to Geneva or Zurich and wait until very late before selecting the resort and looking for accommodation. It is very low season so plenty of accommodation options will be available.

r.king 19 Aug 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

I've been to both Zermatt and Tignes early season in Nov/Dec.

Found the best skiing in Zermatt to be over to Cervinia. Lots of fun terrain and pistes plus good food and drink.   Zermatt itself has some nice glacier terrain but along with this came slightly harder route finding and avoidance of crevasses. The lower slopes never opened. 

Tignes last season was great and beyond expectations of what terrain was open and skiable. Would definitely return, pool is a good bonus with the pass. 

Fancy checking out Austra this year so might head over to Hintertux. I think beyond glacier skiing it's going to be hit or miss wherever at that time. 

Slarti B 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Arcturus:

You may want to avoid Val Thorens first week in December - Oxbridge Varsity ski trip - unless you want to share  the resort with 3-4000 drunk students.

We overlapped with them in Tignes a few years ago when the only runs open were on the Grand Motte.  Never seenso many blood wagons!

OP JuneBob 20 Aug 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

Thanks for all the tips, I'll have a look at the recommendations.

ben b 21 Aug 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

I'd echo Cervinia - we usually go late in the season but have friends who go every year in December, and rarely have issues with a lack of snow. Food is indeed good (especially on the pistes) and high enough to get easily across to the glacier and Zermatt if needed. 

I see they are back there before Christmas this year too 

good luck 

b

OP JuneBob 21 Aug 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

Based on comments here, and some research, Cervinia is top of the list now, thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...