UKC

French Snow Reports - Getting Twitchy...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Nov 2012
We're off to Les Arcs (for the first time in 2 years) on Dec 22 and getting a bit twitchy about the state of the snow or lack of.

Anyone like to offer some reassurance and/or some better news from anyone currently in the area?
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Looks gash. but it's ages away, I'm sure it'll be fine.
 sianabanana 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Was over the hill in Tignes a few weeks back and up high has loads of snow. It had snowed down to about 1800 but not loads.

I think you will be fine and there is more snow due this weekend/early next week.
 andy 22 Nov 2012
> We're off to Les Arcs (for the first time in 2 years) on Dec 22 and getting a bit twitchy about the state of the snow or lack of.
>
> Anyone like to offer some reassurance and/or some better news from anyone currently in the area?

Look at Nozza's weather thread on Snowheads - all the maps you could ever want. I tend to look at this:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png

The upper lines are temperature at about 1500m and the bottom lines are precipitation. Temp lines below freezing and lumpy bits at the bottom equals snow. And the latest runs suggest quite a lot of snow from the middle of next week onwards.

There was no snow at all until about 16 december last year then it absolutely hossed it down.
 Frank4short 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Les Arcs is high so is more likely to have better snow, it's a large resort so will have plenty of artificial snow making equipment.

On the other hand by if you were expecting 3 feet of powder on a good base for a christmas ski holiday, well that's just wishful thinking. Too early in the year really to get anything close to guaranteed decent conditions.
Anonymous 23 Nov 2012

7th of December last year was when the heavens properly unleased the white stuff last year, so loads of time yet.

Take a chill pill, its comimg.
 bennys89 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: There is lots of snow forecast here in Tignes over next week. Its on its way, no need to panic.
 Aly 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Frank4short:
> On the other hand by if you were expecting 3 feet of powder on a good base for a christmas ski holiday, well that's just wishful thinking.

I agree, but having said that, exactly that happened last year! Fingers crossed.
 Frank4short 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Aly:

> I agree, but having said that, exactly that happened last year! Fingers crossed.

It's the exception to the rule though and as i said thinking otherwise is just well not being particularly realistic.
Anonymous 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to Aly)
>
> [...]
>
> It's the exception to the rule though and as i said thinking otherwise is just well not being particularly realistic.

Well, out of the last 4 years, 3 of those have been pretty spectacular in the good base to powder ratio at xmas time.
so heres hoping!
In reply to Anonymous: Thanks for the comments, fingers crossed, here in the Exile household this is serious stuff! 'Last family skiing holiday ' blah blah blah...
 Glen 23 Nov 2012

Forecast is for loads of snow from next week onwards.
 Enty 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Glen:

Yep - Val Thorens is open.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...