UKC

Hardangervidda crossing- info for anyone keen to do this

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 24 Apr 2017
Thought I'd post this here in case anyone else comes looking for the info I was after a couple of months ago.

I flew to Oslo, spent the night in Gardermoen airport and bought petrol (2l) at the closest circle K petrol station. I took the shuttle train to Oslo central then the Oslo-Bergen line to Finse.

From Finse I took six days to ski Finse-Kraekkja-Stigstuv-Rauhellern-Lagaros-Marbu-Kalhovd-Helberghytte-Rjukan skilift. The Marbu-Kalhovd route was different to that marked out most years in that there was not the usual snow cover; instead I covered this stretch entirely on frozen lakes. Total distance was 144km. I descended to Rjukan via the telepherique and stayed a night at the old school hostel in Rjukan (really friendly owner, can't recommend it enough) then was lucky enough to get a lift back to Oslo, I had my flight date changed so I could get home the next day because the weather was good in the peak I even managed to visit the Fram and Kon Tiki museums before my flight.

I used a snowsled pulk (they seem to have been acquired/merged with Aiguille Alpine now), I made my own traces using two 6 foot lengths of PVC pipe and enough 6mm cord to go round the pulk, through the pipe and attach to my harness. I crossed the pvc pipes to give more control, joining them with some bungee cord. For a pulling harness I bought some military surplus webbing from ebay and used some snapgates and 5mm cord to add clip-in points. This worked fine on the terrain I encountered and was reasonably comfortable. To stop the drifting snow from getting into everything I stuffed my rucksack, tent and rollmat into an army surplus bivvy bag then secured this with some cheap elastic straps from screwfix. I kept my shovel on the outside and an omm bag full of useful things up front for easy access...water, snacks, sunglasses, sunscreen, cash etc. This worked well and saved opening/closing bivvy bag. I used a MSR XGK for melting snow, I used 1000kcal dehydrated meals to avoid cooking. During the day I snacked on dried mango, honey roasted cashews, salami and cheese.

I didn't use the hut system (personal thing, seeing if I could do without) but if anyone else is doing this or a similar trip I recon that would be a more enjoyable way to do it. I was just making life hard for myself This would let you ditch the pulk. and go a lot lighter/faster.

The ski setup I used is what UKC users had recommended I go with (metal edged nordic touring skis, Fisher S-bound 78s, Salomon boots and bindings, black diamond walking poles). I took skins (wouldn't bother without the pulk) and used them for a few sections (less so once I'd sussed herringboning). For navigation I took a 1:150k map of Hardangervidda (available online) and the paid version of Norgekart (excellent mapping app) plus a power bank to recharge my phone.

Hope this info is as useful to anyone else thinking of doing this as the replies to my questions a few months ago were to me.

Robert

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...