UKC

Hiring a ski guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 08 Dec 2016
Any tips please?
I'm going to Alpe d'Huez first week in January and I'd like to have a go at something a bit more adventurous than cruising pistes.
The obvious thing is guided off-piste, but I'm open for other suggestions. Especially back up options for if there's no snow. I've never done any Alpine or winter climbing, so not sure that's an option without a bit more commitment and buying gear?
How do I go about finding a guide?
Is there anything I can do without a guide? I'm the only competent skiier in our group, although I do have a snowboarder I could possibly drag along if it's suitable.
Rigid Raider 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:
This is a minefield. The French are aggressively defending their closed shop at the moment meaning ski companies can't allow their staff to accompany clients. The only possibility of doing it above board is to hire a UIAGM guide, of whom a few are British. I guess the charge will be something like £250 a day unles you happen to know somebody who can guide you without going through the bureau des guides.

Then there's the weather and the snow conditions; January is not the time for off piste because fresh blown snow makes avalanches likely and short days and cold temperatures make good days rare. The same unstable snow conditions make skiing off piste even around the resort risky and your insurance will not cover you if you need rescue outside a pisted or patrolled area and medical treatment. The piste rescue guys will note your exact location if they get called out.

My advice would be to enjoy your on-piste holday and plan for a second week, if you can, during March or April when days are longer and sunnier and the snow has consolidated. Head for a serious ski touring resort like Argentiere and, if you haven't already got a guide lined up, see if you can lock into the handful of British guides who live there and will be willing to take you out when the conditions are right. In bad weather you can learn to use the equipment and in good weather you will be able to do some one day tours using the lift system with some skinning and even short easy climbs up gullies to access the good slopes. Bear in mind that these guides live there all season so they know where the fresh snow has been dumped and which areas give the best and safest off-piste so your money will be well spent.

Edit: Argentiere is actually a great place to stay because you've got the raffish old Hotel de la Couronne (Telephone Argentiere 2) which is an original climbers' and skiers' hotel. Then you've got the amazing Grands Montets lift, which gives access to some superb un-pisted but patrolled ski areas on two glaciers, where you can hone your unpisted skiing skills. There is also good access to off piste day tours on the north side of the valley and there are some good cafes and restaurants in the village.
Post edited at 11:18
OP Hooo 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Thanks for the response, although not what I was hoping for... I don't think going skiing twice in one year is going to be an option although I would if I could.
I've done Grands Montets and Vallee Blanche (with a guide) in January, so I assumed I'd be able to do something similar on this trip.
Rigid Raider 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:

You can do those with a guide but it will be downhill skiing only I reckon. Proper off piste touring doesn't start until the weather has warmed up and the snow consolidated.
OP Hooo 08 Dec 2016

I'm not set on proper off piste. If there's something I could do that's a bit more adventurous than on piste then I'll be happy. I'm mainly looking for suggestions on what's a good thing to do in this area at this time of year, and how to arrange it.

Thanks
 SiWood 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:

Most bigger resorts like Alpe D'Huez will have a Bureau des Guides. It should be possible to arrange to join a guided group for a day or twos off piste around the resort. I guess the itinerary for the day will depend on the snow conditions, weather and composition of the group. You should be able to find info and book online or arrange when you arrive.

Likely cost would be around 80EUR per day. Joining a group day may not be your thing but it would certainly keep costs reasonable.

There are plenty of ice climbing options from there (not sure of the road status up to La Grave) doing a similar thing for that may also be possible. January would be prime season for this.
 kenr 08 Dec 2016

early January is a dangerous time for off-piste adventures.
First unexpected tricky danger of Avalanche from TG Temperature Gradient snowpack.
Second from hitting thinly-covered rocks with your skis
. . . (and then your head? - a life changing experience).

Snowpack so far this winter is looking like both dangers will be if anything higher than normal for early Jan.

If you pay for a guide, they'll find _something_, but . . .

You'll get lots more + better "adventure" for your money if you wait until mid-March or April.

Or maybe take a shuttle over to Les Deux Alpes and ski on the pistes on their high glacier, might be a good trade-off for adventure versus price.

Ken
Post edited at 13:52
 Jim 1003 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:
Some of the above posts are absolute rubbish. You don't need UIAGM guide to ski off piste unless your on a glacier. You can join Grande ski with ESF, this is an off piste class, their instructors take you off piste at this level unless its on a glacier. Not that expensive. However, they will test your ability to see if your up to it. There are loads of other ski schools advertising off piste or free ride classes.
Post edited at 14:51
 walts4 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:

Might be worth checking out the UCPA web site, this could provide what your looking for, although looking at your profile, unless you look young, you may be bordering on the age limit?
 Doug 08 Dec 2016
In reply to walts4:

UCPA age limits are flexible and at the discretion of the centre's director (I think), I went on a ski course when I was close to 50 & wasn't the eldest. But aren't they for a period of several days, with accommodation, etc all included ? sounds as if the OP would be staying with friends/family.
 Dogwatch 08 Dec 2016

> your insurance will not cover you if you need rescue outside a pisted or patrolled area and medical treatment.

It will if you pay for it. Something around £20 a week extra iirc.

Some people here seem to be assuming off-piste means the same as touring. Plenty of people do lift-served off-piste in January.

http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=95219 has a discussion on off-piste in Alpe d'Huez in January.
 spragglerocks 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:
I agree that most of the comments saying don't ski off piste in January are rubbish, you just have to watch the weather and snow conditions and see how things develop. I've been touring in January quite safely with and without a guide you just have to pick safe terrain and slopes and understand what the snow pack is doing/has been doing leading up to when you go. Given that you are looking for a guide, they will do that bit for you so go for it.

Looks like there is quite a lot of accessible off piste from Alpe D'Huez so up high should be no issue finding some stuff to go at. Their own website has some info worth looking at and a link to guides:
https://www.alpedhueznet.com/ski-area/off-piste

Main thing to make sure is you have a shovel, transceiver and probe and know what you are doing with it - if you were in Cham you could hire that stuff easily not so sure about Alpe D'Huez. A guide might be able to provide kit for you. If you really want an adventure near there - drive to La Grave and hire a guide - http://www.la-grave.com/winter/index.php. There are no pistes - it's awesome, and once you've experienced how great it is, you can sign up to help keep it that way, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/signal-de-la-grave-environment#/.

Last but not least, check out the BMG page if you want to talk to a British Mountain Guide about some off piste, someone might be prepared to take you - http://www.bmg.org.uk/.

If you want to check out some of the off piste lines from the comfort of your sofa, download the FATMAP app - fatmap.com. Alpe D'Huez is one of the resorts available so might be worth a look.

And anything non-touring will be fine for your snowboarder as long as they can get down anything including mogul blacks - off piste is very different to those nice smooth groomers. Most importantly have fun
Post edited at 15:38
 rocksol 08 Dec 2016

Strange that Cham was full of people off touring a couple of weeks ago, including myself. True later in the year is more popular due to longer days and crevasses filled in, but this can also bring danger with a rise in ambient temperatures. You can tour anytime as conditions and experience and I emphasise experience, allow.
OP Hooo 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Everyone:

Thanks for all the info, some great stuff there. I didn't realise I could join a guided group. That's probably what I'll do TBH. I'll check out the links you've posted and snowheads and see what's available. I'll check out the ESF class too, I could do with some lessons in off piste technique. I like the idea of them checking ability too - I dread being the one holding everyone up, but I've also been stuck waiting for a group of blaggers who couldn't ski for toffee.

I've heard of La Grave, but I think it might be out of my league.
 Misha 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:
You don't need a mountain guide for off piste skiing unless it's on glaciated terrain. A ski instructor would be fine. May be a bit cheaper but not necessarily. More a case of who you can find, not sure Alpe d'Huez would have many guides but there should be plenty of ski instructors.
paraffin 08 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:
Agreed some garbage advice on here . . . for example "not until it warms up" ffs!
There has been some amazing touring conditions out in France since late October.
Check out this
http://www.skitour.fr/
Click on any trip report. Browse photos. Click top right on Globe icon or map icon ( takes you to IGN maps)
Works for me every time.
Good luck and enjoy.
Paraffin

CathS 09 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:
I'm also surprised by how negative some of the advice is here.

I've done plenty of fantastic guided off-piste skiing in January and February. A good guide will seek out the best snow for you whatever the time of year and conditions.

Joining a guided group is the best way forward from a cost point of view. As others have said, this generally is with an appropriately qualified ski instructor, not necessarily an alpine mountain guide.

For future trips (they don't operate in Alpe d'Huez) if you want to take your skiing to a new more adventurous level, look at some of the trips and courses offered by Snoworks, an all-British company http://www.snoworks.co.uk/ Brilliant instructors and always great fun !

New Generation are also a good ski instruction company that do guided off piste days or half days - can't remember if they have a school in Alpe d'Huez.
Post edited at 08:40
 JDC 09 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:

Yep, some total pish posted on this thread! Plenty of off piste options in January - depends entirely on weather conditions at the time rather than a generalisation that "January is dangerous due to avalanches"!!

Post a thread on snowheads and sure someone will have a guide recommendation in AdH if that's the route you want to go down. We've always gone on this kind of recommendation when looking for guides and never been disappointed yet. Or as others have said, look into joining a group session (here's the ESF link for example: https://www.alpedhueznet.com/ski/guides/esf-off-piste-mountain-guides-alpe-... ).

Doug 09 Dec 2016
As said, often good touring & offpiste in December & January - I've toured in places like the Queyras at Christmas/New Years several times, also in the Ariege (Pyrenees).
In reply to Hooo:

Hi

I live the other side of the mountains to Alpe d'Huez near Briancon, as other have said Jan can be fine for touring and off piste, I have some great ski tours under my belt this season already, and skied all snow types in Jan from deep powder to that horrible bullet hard pack.

I would ask around on snowheads as someone else said, I know loads of great instructors this side but non that sorry

(apologies if this is teaching grandma to suck eggs) if you do end up just popping in ESF try and have a good chat about what you want to get out of the day, just being shown the best lines or coaching and instructing to help you be more independent, and how the conditions that week will effect this, this helps them pick the right coach for you, (Jan is quite so should be a lot about) and help you know what to expect and if its worth spending the money.

cheers
aligibb 22 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:

Try these guys - http://www.stance-snow.com
OP Hooo 01 Jan 2017
In reply to Hooo:

Change of plan, due to there being no bloody snow
I've been to the Bureau des Guides and booked a guide for my first taste of Alpine climbing.
So, more tips required please. They have a route they will take a novice on, but what should I ask for to get the most out of the day?
Thanks
 Stairclimber 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Hooo:

Consider joining a group day at La Grave as a good value experience of skiing in a wild area close to Alpe d'Huez. Conditions may well change and you could find yourself having a really motivational off piste day, just by doing what many consider 'trade routes'. Take a camera!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...