UKC

How to step into Dynafit Radical bindings?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 22 Jan 2017
I had a session at my local fridge last week to get use to my new Tecnica Pro Light boots, Dynadit Radical bindings and Whitedot R.98 skis. The boots felt very tight at first but after an hour's skiing were perfect, if still a little snug - a testament to Rivington Alpine's fitting. The skis felt great too, very nimble for a long radius ski. But I had major problems stepping into the bindings, practicing not leading to much improvement - particularly aligning the front pins and holes. I appreciate more practice required but I would really appreciate some tips to help fast-track the process. The on-line videos making it look so easy don't help.
 damowilk 22 Jan 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

You're not alone! I've spent 15mins on icy traverses trying to get back into Dynafiddles.
With practice it will come, but it's worth marking the midpoint of the inserts with a perm marker on the top of the boot so you can see it from above.
Some find it easier to get one insert in first and roll the foot down to the other, this never worked well for me, I found it better to match both up and step in.

(I eventually switched to G3 Ions which are much easier, not to put you off though, most seem to eventually get it.)
 TobyA 22 Jan 2017
In reply to damowilk:

I just bought my first pair of skis with tech bindings on them last week, I've only tried on the carpet so far so no big problems but can appreciate in deep snow it could be tricky. Having telemarked for a long time and having started out with three pin bindings (that I still use on one pair of odd skis I have), it seems a bit like that, you use your eyes and some feeling through the sole that you are in the right place before pushing down.
James Jackson 22 Jan 2017

The main issue is when the ski is not in a perfect position. damowilk and TobyA allude to the difficulties, which inevitably strike when you need the faff the least (exposed, icy, whatever). I'm afraid there's no hidden 'knack' or trick, just practice to hit it first time. But watch for things such as your boot rolling slightly to one side (only one pin will engage), or not having your foot forward enough (both pins will miss).

It's also recommended, after you have clipped in the toe, to flex your foot up and down (mimicking the touring action) a couple of times before clipping in the heel. This removes any ice / snow from the holes and positions the binding properly.
 NottsRich 23 Jan 2017

A couple of small dots on the boot (paint marker etc) can give you more of a visual clue to alignment when first stepping in. They'll wear off, but your technique will improve too.
 JuneBob 23 Jan 2017
On regular tour skis, if I'm struggling, e.g. if it's icy or dark, I'll often lean forward and hold the ski.
Normally, I try to feel and see that the boot is in the right place before pushing in, but I still mess it up plenty of times!

In skimo racing I usually lean forward and hold the ski.

Kilian demonstrates here:
https://www.facebook.com/romsdalrandonee/videos/654784814662768/
 Ben Briggs 24 Jan 2017
Nice set up! Practice makes perfect, when I'm skiing a lot I do it without thinking but it's still a bit fiddley after the summer off. It's definitely worth the small added faff over a frame binding.
 galpinos 24 Jan 2017

Radical or Radical 2? Radical 2's have little towers to help, just push your boot up to the towers then push down with your boot. For normal Radcals, practice, plus drawing on your boots with marker pen to show the fore/aft position.

Your other option is to just chuck your skis on the ground and step in......

youtube.com/watch?v=ycXFR7mTp1E&
In reply to galpinos:

unfortunately the ski tech had to fettle the boots, I understand to stop obstruction in skinning mode so the toe overshoots the towers, I'll mark up the socket location with paint and practice, and practice
In reply to Ben Briggs:

Thanks. Yes, I'm looking forward to being less scared than with my Preachers on icy traverses and steep side slipping as well as less effort on the climbs
In reply to kevin stephens: It seems that one thing I've been doing wrong is having the skis too far forward when trying to step into them. Having the skis further back requires the boots being at a greater angle when stepping in so the toe of the boot has more chance of coming up against the towers

Dave 24 Jan 2017

Having just returned from 12 laps of the local hill (12 x skin changes, 12 x skis on/off) its fresh in my mind... Googling a picture of your boots suggests they don't have the genuine Dynafit hole fittings which have little protrusions behind the holes and make it easier to guide the boot in, on the other hand you have the Radical stoppers which should make it a bit easier. As others have said, alignment is key - keep the boot sole parallel with the ski both length ways and just above the ski surface and side to side, so if the ski is a bit angled sideways one way or another angle your leg so the holes and pins will align. Move the boot forward till you touch the stoppers, or your markers line up, and press carefully down making sure you don't mess up the alignments as you do so. With practise on a flattish surface you get it first shot most of the time. In deep snow its trickier and you may need to reach down and hold the ski. As someone else also said its a good idea to lift the ski a couple of times so the pins pivot in the holes to make sure they are seated properly before clicking the heels in.
 damowilk 24 Jan 2017

Oh, one more tip, not directly related to ease of getting into them: get into the habit of always pulling the toe piece into walk mode, even when skiing down, then lower it into ski mode. I'm not sure this works for all brands of tech binding, but for Plum and G3, if there is ice build up under the toe piece, it might appear that you're clipped in fine, but it's not and will release easily; if this is the case, the lever won't pull up into walk mode though.
thanks both for more tips

paraffin 26 Jan 2017
Jeez a whole thread on how to get into your bindings!
Liked this dude's style very much . . .
youtube.com/watch?v=ycXFR7mTp1E&
What next? How to get out of them pesky AT pincers - with style or not?
Post edited at 00:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...