UKC

is there snow down to the Glenmore Lodge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Euge 14 May 2012
Thinking of doing some ski touring and wondered how low down is the snow line.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
E
 Fiona Reid 14 May 2012
In reply to Euge:

There's no snow down to Glenmore lodge now. We were at Cairngorm on Saturday and a few nutters were combat skiing back to the main car park but we walked from the mid station.

Looking at the webcam pics: http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/ you'll probably need to walk to at least the mid station before you'll be able to link significant patches without having keep walking sections. The plateau had good cover on Saturday.
 Mike00010 14 May 2012
We were up there walking last weekend and you almost had snow to the mid station but it was getting patchy at that level. Once you get up to the top of the plateau it was lovely conditions though.
 AG 14 May 2012
In reply to Fiona Reid: I skied back to the car park on sat - it wasn't too bad (only hit about 10 rocks!). Looks like a bit of snow loss has happened but more forecast in the next few days. Above 900m the cover should still be excellent.
Best May skiing I can remember in a lot of years.
 Fiona Reid 14 May 2012
In reply to AG:

I'm just boring...after the second nasty noise from the base of my skis I decided that walking was a better plan and would require less p-tex.

Saturday was rather good though. Fresh tracks over the back and down from the summit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...