UKC

Off piste ski groups

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
brownie664 22 Nov 2017
I'm off to the Alps at the start of March with some friends and was hoping to get some off piste or ski touring in.

None of my friends are up to skiing off piste so was hoping to join a guided group for a few days. I don't want to ski off piste by myself and I couldn't afford to book a guide on my own.

I know the guides office at Chamonix does this, but I'm already going there this winter on another trip.

Any suggestions of other resorts in Europe where you can organise this?.

Cheers

Ian
 summo 22 Nov 2017
In reply to brownie664:

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/ski-with-the-club

Depending what you are looking for you might find it here, either by joining a group or locating an instructor.
 ClimberEd 22 Nov 2017
In reply to brownie664:

> I'm off to the Alps at the start of March with some friends and was hoping to get some off piste or ski touring in.

> None of my friends are up to skiing off piste so was hoping to join a guided group for a few days. I don't want to ski off piste by myself and I couldn't afford to book a guide on my own.

> I know the guides office at Chamonix does this, but I'm already going there this winter on another trip.

> Any suggestions of other resorts in Europe where you can organise this?.

> Cheers

> Ian

Most (reasonably sized, to be accurate) ski resorts will have ski schools that do guided off piste groups that you join which is exactly what you are after.
Removed User 22 Nov 2017
In reply to brownie664:

If you'd like to join a group ski touring maybe check out the Eagle Ski Club, lots of great options for any week of the winter.

https://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk
brownie664 23 Nov 2017
Thanks everyone

Probably going to go for Val d'isere - would suit the piste skiers and has both ski club and other guiding
 kenr 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed UserOwenDay:
> If you'd like to join a group ski touring maybe check out the Eagle Ski Club, lots of great options for any week of the winter.

I did four week-long tours organized by the Eagle Ski Club about fifteen years ago, and three out of four came out badly. The one that turned out well was where the ESC had arranged for it to be led by a professional mountain guide who lived year round in the area of the tour.

Otherwise there are two fundamental problems with doing a ski holiday off the groomed marked pistes under the supervision of a club:

* You are at the mercy of whatever (non-professional) leader decided to organize the week, who sound like they're very experienced, but some know just enough to be dangerous.

* Especially now with warming in the Alps and sharp competition for untracked snow, managing avalanche hazard and finding good skiing requires extensive _local_ knowledge -- and avalanche hazard depends on knowing the specific history of the local snowpack this season.

Ken
Post edited at 13:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...