UKC

Offline steepness Map

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 17 Dec 2018

Hi,

Here in Norway I have a choice of 2 apps, regobs and norgeskart which enable me to download maps at the best available scale for offline use while still highlighting my GPS location on the map.

Furthermore, they both have a steepness overlay with a colour gradient signifying slope angle:

<25deg
0deg
5deg
etc.

I find this very useful when navigating terrain, as it is an integral part of mountain safety when there's snow around

I'm trying to find something similar for the Alps. Particularly Austrian Alps in the short term, but also for the Swiss, Italian and French alps. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Neil D 17 Dec 2018
In reply to JuneBob:

For Switzerland at least, this is all available at map.geo.admin.ch where you can add a layer called 'Slope classes over 30 degrees' and make maps available offline on your phone.

Not sure about the other countries.

philipjardine 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Neil D:

its been available for IGN maps for france for the last year or 2.  I access it using iPhiGéNie on my phone but there may be other ways.  not sure about Italy and austria.  I suspect you can get this on fat map but havent used it personally

dan_waterston 17 Dec 2018
In reply to JuneBob:

Fatmap (www.fatmap.com) definitely does this.  Only discovered the app a month ago and haven't used in anger yet, but looks excellent.

Post edited at 18:45
OP JuneBob 18 Dec 2018
In reply to JuneBob:

Thanks all. This fatmap looks quite fancy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...