UKC

Purchasing Skimo Racing equipment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 27 Jan 2016
Skimo racing is my thing at the moment, and for anyone else considering it, don't do it. The main suppliers, Dynafit, Scarpa and La Sportiva have the world's worst customer service, races are organised by part-time hobbyists who don't like communicating, and it's such a minority sport it's very difficult to find the equipment you need.

Having said that, I'm already committed, so am trying the best I can to make it work.

I need new boots. The Scarpa Alien doesn't fit. The dynafit PDG is a long way from ideal (I have the previous model, and my toes are a mess). From what I've heard the La Sportiva Syborg could fit my feet. If only I could try them on! Despite emailing La Sportiva US, Italy, Norway and UK, plus distributors, none have replied. Maybe La sportiva is doing so well that they don't care about another £500 sale.
I'm living in Trondheim, the nearest shop stocking the boots is in Oslo. I haven't found any shops in the UK or Netherlands (I visit both periodically). All searches turn up webshops based in Spain, Germany or France.

Is there anyone on these forums who knows of shops in the UK that stock skimo equipment? And even better, any shops that stock the La Sportiva Syborg boots?

Thanks.

davy_boy 27 Jan 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Try mountain spirit in aviemore I'm sure they have some involvement in the skimo scene and stock la sportiva ski equipment.
 Hannah V 28 Jan 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Isn't it nearer to travel to Oslo to get the boots than travelling to the UK?
Alternatively, you could take a trip up to Tromsø and get the boots at Skandinavisk Høyfjellsutstyr:

http://www.tromsosport.no/products/la-sportiva-syborg-yellowblack

And combine the shopping trip with skimo training on the mountains around here
OP JuneBob 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Hannah V:

Thanks I'll be going to the UK anyway, Oslo would require a new trip.

I'm heading to Lyngen in May, but I have other plans before then.
Thanks for find though!
 HeMa 28 Jan 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Try contacting a nice e-retailer... like Telemark-Pyrenees...

In the past they've shipped 2 pairs for you to try and then you'll ship one back...
 Hannah V 28 Jan 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Cool. Good luck with getting boots that fit. Get in touch if you need someone to tour with in Lyngen!
 Dark-Cloud 28 Jan 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

> Skimo racing is my thing at the moment, and for anyone else considering it, don't do it. The main suppliers, Dynafit, Scarpa and La Sportiva have the world's worst customer service, races are organised by part-time hobbyists who don't like communicating, and it's such a minority sport it's very difficult to find the equipment you need.

Hmmm, I have just been toying with the idea of having a crack at some of the Scottish ones, just on normal AT gear for now, care to share some of your experiences, are you talking about one area in particular, guessing so ?

I would second Telemark Pyrenees, i have just got some new kit off them and they were great to deal with, I normally buy locally but saved over £130 from buying here, i don't mind £20 here and there but at that sort of saving its a no brainer, sorry UK guys !!
 NottsRich 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Hmmm, I have just been toying with the idea of having a crack at some of the Scottish ones, just on normal AT gear for now, care to share some of your experiences, are you talking about one area in particular, guessing so ?

I'm going to have a go at this as well, again on normal AT gear. Not much of an idea of what to expect, but I'll give it a go anyway. If the snow sticks around that is!

> I would second Telemark Pyrenees, i have just got some new kit off them and they were great to deal with, I normally buy locally but saved over £130 from buying here, i don't mind £20 here and there but at that sort of saving its a no brainer, sorry UK guys !!

+1

Snowdave 31 Jan 2016
In reply to JuneBob:
Speak to Rob at Mountain Spirit in Aviemore, I was in his shop last week & he had several different pairs of La Sportiva Boots & Skis & some of their clothing

Linky to his website:-

http://mountainspirit.co.uk/wp/?s=sportiva&post_type=product

& yes there is skimo in Scotland:-

http://www.skimoscotland.co.uk/races.html

http://www.skimoscotland.co.uk/201516_dates_released.html

2015/16 Dates released

Skimo Scotland are pleased to announce the dates for the 4th Skimo Scotland race series:

Lecht 2090 - Monday 28th December 2015

Glenshee - Saturday 23rd January 2016

Glencoe Mountain - Saturday 27th February 2016

Nevis Range Vertical - Sunday 28th February 2016

Nevis Range - Saturday 19th March 2016
Post edited at 16:59
OP JuneBob 01 Feb 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Hi,

Hehe, don't *really* let me put you off, skimo racing is a lot of fun. I live in Norway, so I race there mostly, but I went through the application process for Mezzalama last year and am currently hoping for Pierra Menta, and it's way more stressful to apply than train (I got a message: one of the documents in your submission is missing. On the website it said all were submitted, emails got no response, finally got through on the phone to get clarification). Most annoying is we don't find out if we're in or not until 4 weeks before the race.
Compare it to the Berlin marathon application for coming September, excellent website, easy entry, straightforward ballot, I found out I got in in December, so I can easily buy flights, book hotels and be fully motivated for training. Try motivating yourself to go out for a run when everywhere is covered in ice, it's raining, 25m/s wind and it's dark, and you're training for something you don't even know if it'll happen. It's very hard.

I told you about La Sportiva above, similarly Dynafit - I must have spent £1000s on their gear, but they can't be bothered to reply to my queries (how to prevent my tlt binding flicking into downhill mode by accident when going uphill. Locally, the Dynafit center says there's an adaption for the new model but couldn't fix my one). I find it rude that these companies happily take all my money, but when I ask for some service they don't even bother to reply.

I haven't raced in Scotland, so I don't know what it's like!

Thanks everyone for the advice/suggestions; in the event I've ordered online, and I'll get a few boots sent to try on. It's a pity I can't fit in to scarpas, as there's a guy selling a brand new pair of Alien 3.0 for half price here in Norway.
 Dave 02 Feb 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

> I'm going to have a go at this as well, again on normal AT gear. Not much of an idea of what to expect, but I'll give it a go anyway. If the snow sticks around that is!

I did the Glenocoe Skimo race last year, my first, on normal-ish touring gear. There is a whole range of ages, fitness levels and gear from those with Fritschi bindings on fat skis, a split boarder, tele, through to those with the carbon boots and 600g skis. It was great, utterly lung-bursting, experience and was friendly and fun. I made a few silly mistakes and was somewhere in the latter half with a time around 1.05 I think for 830m or so of ascent and half that of descent. Give it a go. Its quite astounding how fast the top guys go.

I was supposed to take part in the British skimo championships in France last Sunday but it was cancelled on the morning of the race due to atrocious weather - a real bummer for all concerned. Maybe next year with lighter kit...

NottsRich 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Dave:

Thanks Dave, I'm keen but having kit problems at the moment. I'll get that sorted and then get entered!
 iangrim 09 Feb 2016
In reply to JuneBob

Hi,
purchasing the right kit is always difficult as we all have different budgets, advice etc. that affect what we're looking for.
like you, I've done a lot of touring, and this year thought I'd have a go at the Scottish Skimo series. The first hurdle was to upgrade some of my kit: I'd say boots are the most important and like you I have problem feet (multi operations on one foot), and went for the Syborg boot, and got it fitted at Backcountry in Ilkley: now they're super comfy. Its worth the extra cost as the boots will last longer than the light racing skis and if your feet hurt, any Skimo race will be even more miserable. Skis and bindings were picked up at the end of last year (from Glisshop) in end of season sales: Dynafit PDG skis and super light bindings, £300 for the both...... basically the point is to start looking early; lots of suppliers and stockists have limited stock as its a niche sport......
Having got this kit, I had a go at the first Skimo race at Glenshee in December.... I found the whole thing a great experience; there was a huge range of abilities from the top lycra lads who are British champions, to the recreational tourer "having a go". In difficult weather conditions, the race was fun and competitive. ( I've since broken my leg training... doh) . If you're in Scotland , its worth having a look at these races even if you don't have a race set up, because if you're fit and keen you'll do ok..
 morganator 09 Feb 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Lyon distribute Sportiva boots in the UK so I think asking them would be the way to go
 Mr Lopez 09 Feb 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Been reading really good things about this boots youtube.com/watch?v=x4hcrGz92yc& Maybe one more alternative?
OP JuneBob 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

They look nice, but they're much too heavy They're 1100g. Regular race boots are 800g, and the pro race boots are 550g.
OP JuneBob 15 Feb 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

I competed in the Norwegian Nationals this weekend, great conditions, with quite a terrifying straight line descent in variable snow.

The organisers made a nice video:
vimeo.com/155231456

I managed to finish within 50% of the winner on Saturday's race, which is always my goal. Sunday's race was an up only, and I finished at 30% of the winner, and just behind the womens champion, so I was super happy with that.

I'm looking forward to getting my new equipment as I'll be able to ski faster and my transitions will be much quicker (the toe piece jams when it collects snow which hinders me a lot).

Anyway, maybe the video will inspire you to give it a go.
 Dark-Cloud 15 Feb 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

So what kit did you end up going with then ?
OP JuneBob 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

My old stuff, as my new gear hasn't arrived yet. I bought it second hand last year and it's a few years old:
Dynafit pdg skis, pdg boots and tlt race bindings and pomoco skins. I find that snow can collect under the front piece and I can't fully push down the boot release, so I can't easily release the boot.
OP JuneBob 13 Mar 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

In the end I got the syborgs, they fit great. I also got the fischer alpattack skis. I just completed the Pierra Menta and they were great until just before the end when the boot release broke, and then my ski snapped a bit later on the final descent. Fortunately a spectator lent me their ski so I could finish.
La Sportiva had a gear tent at the finish and replaced all the buckles on the boots, and the fischer representative said I should be able to get a new ski. Exciting stuff.
Pierra Menta is bonkers. The race organisation is first class even if everything around it is a bit chaotic.
 Dark-Cloud 13 Mar 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Good effort with the Pierra Menta, looks like a great event.
 Dave 14 Mar 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Yes, good effort, was just looking at the results yesterday and spotted a couple of British teams listed. If you have new kit are you selling your old PDG boots ?
OP JuneBob 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Dave:
Thanks. We were listed as G/N as we're British but living in Norway. I am considering selling the boots. If you're interested PM me and I'll get some more info to you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...