UKC

Roller Skiing with Poles in the Uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
deleted user 19 Nov 2012
Wondered if anyone has tried this on our roads in Britain. Thought it might be absolutely amazing training but slightly mental especially on our roads?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_skiing
 Denni 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

Have a few mates who do it regularly in the parks in London, wouldn't do it on the roads but there are heaps of places you can go to do it:

http://www.therollerskidirectory.org.uk/

In Germany there was a 10k cycle track from my flat to work, used to do it in the summer, great phys.
 nniff 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

There's a regular crowd in Richmond Park. Probably wildly imprudent where you are likely to encounter traffic
 TobyA 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson: You can just use roller blades and poles if you want to do it skate style. Obviously you need the proper roller skis for classic, they look a bit ungainly though in comparison to actual classic style XC. People do it on the cycle paths here and it is wildly anti-social - skate style poles are normally nearly 2 metres long, have a metal spike (more a blade than the thing you see on trekking poles) and are pushed out at about 45 degrees down and out behind you as you push off the pole, the pole then goes up into the air still at about 45 degrees back and out from the body. Basically just in the right place to stick in the face of any cyclist trying to get past. They also can't break very well, but get up to speeds of 30 kmph easily on even gentle downhills.
 telemarker 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

I used to train on the Cairngorm ski road. We did have a sign that we put out though. I couldnt imagine doing it on roads in a town though especially if skating as you would probably scratch a few cars. I found cycle paths are a pretty good option as they are a decent width.
 TobyA 19 Nov 2012
In reply to telemarker:
> I found cycle paths are a pretty good option as they are a decent width.

Yep, width that you will fill nicely with your spike tipped poles!

dg 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

Google, or better "youTube": "skiking" or "skikes". The off-road version of roller-skiing. No reason to stick to the cycle-paths any more... There are no limits to man's inventiveness.
 OwenM 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson: I have a pair I use every now and again, the thing is they need a hard surface or the little wheels sink in. For training you need somewhere flat or up-hill, going down hill you just zoom down out of control. Using classic style you can develop a lazy kick as you just kick against the ratchet instead of pushing down to flatten the wax pocket before kicking back. I don't do much skatting, getting to old for that, but it would require a lot more room.
I tend to use an old railway line which is now a cycle route, I hardly ever see cyclists on it just dog walkers who look at you very oddly.
 d_b 19 Nov 2012
In reply to TobyA:

There is far too much bad blood between cyclists and motorists in my opinion. If anything is going to improve the relationship between them then it is a bunch of roller skiers flailing around with enormous metal poles, scratching cars and denting cyclists as they carve around the slopes of our cities and tuck through red lights at 30mph.

I heartily approve!
 johno072 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson: rollerski.co.uk, Snowsport England cross country section and associated clubs all provide useful information on roller skiing. It is a reasonably mature sport in the UK as it has been around for years with qualified coaches throughout the UK. I also Believe that Mike Dixon (Olympic Biathlete) rollerskied from John O'Groates to Lands End now that's 'ballsy'!
 TobyA 19 Nov 2012
In reply to OwenM:
> (In reply to samsimpson) I have a pair I use every now and again, the thing is they need a hard surface or the little wheels sink in.

I see lots of people using them with quite big wheels now, maybe 20 cm diametre? Anyway, they work fine on gravel cycle paths of which we have a lot, although I'm sure they would still get stuck in real mud.
deleted user 19 Nov 2012
In reply to davidbeynon: Ok time get those rollerskates and skate down the A6 through Longsight!
deleted user 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson: *time to get
 telemarker 19 Nov 2012
In reply to TobyA:

I find that as long as you dont have head phones in and are aware of other users there isnt a problem, I just move out the way if someone is coming.
 balmybaldwin 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

There used to be a grass skiing thing on Butser hill on the south downs using what can only be described as mini tank tracks on skis
scrufff 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

Seen people doing this uphill in the Alps (XC style), and to their credit French drivers probably give them even more space than they do bikes. You'd get intentionally mown down after about 5 minutes in this country.
 ripper 19 Nov 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to samsimpson)
>
> There used to be a grass skiing thing on Butser hill on the south downs using what can only be described as mini tank tracks on skis

I did a bit of that once many moons ago when my parents packed me off on a PGL week in wales one summer - I could already ski a bit so was ok but pretty much everyone finished up battered and bruised inside the first ten minutes. One lad, one of three skinheads from inner london somewhere who I don't think had ever been to 'the country' before, managed about five metres before he fell and broke his leg...
 Tris 19 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson: I have some Skike's which I use with cross country ski poles, not used them for a while though. Most people look at you strange but quite a few people are really interested

youtube.com/watch?v=IYrpJ_7_KEw&
 James Gordon 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Tris: used to do this skate style on proper roller skis in London. I found tarmac paths in parks a nightmare because u cant edge to stop so its bloody dangerous

BUT I discovered a dirt running track (in regents park near the Zoo) which was perfect: slowed you right down, easy to stop, no dangers and the poles could actually get a grip!
 Dee 20 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson: On quiet roads, yes, but my preference is for cycle routes. Bloody dreadful to deal with steep descents though. You can get hybrid classic/skate roller skis which are worthwhile - I use a pair and find that they work well. As for poles, I got tired of scratching around with the cross-country poles and switched to trekking poles with rubber bungs fitted on the tips - far more durable and pleasant to ski with.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...