UKC

Savoie ski 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kenr 28 Jan 2018

I'm skiing around the north French Alps in several periods this winter and spring, mainly in department 73 Savoie, and nearby some in 38 Isere and 74 Haute Savoie. . . . backcountry ski mountaineering (randonnee), groomed-track cross-country (ski de fond), also some lift-served off-piste. Be glad to hear reports of snow conditions, stories and ideas for tours.

Today did some uphill-skinning on piste in the Vanoise. Seems like mostly sufficient snow above 1400m elevation, but the ungroomed much below 2000m is pretty eroded from the hot temperatures recently. Well above 2000m the ungroomed is more smoothed by some fresh snowfall (but on sun-exposed aspects most of that is now crusted).

I skinned up about +1230 meters vertical. Got rather "technical" near the top, because I did not stop to put on couteaux / harscheisen / ski-crampons -- there was a thin layer of loose snow over a wind- sun-hardened surface -- so the snow layer (not bonded to the underlying hardpack) only make it more difficult for me to get solid contact with the firm snow -- with lots of help from pushing on my poles.

Snow above 2000m did not soften much in the afternoon, even on SE slope.

Now thinking Tuesday afternoon Sharon and I will try softened corn at a station with better sun-exposed pistes below 2000m.

Meanwhile tomorrow Monday take advantage of good re-freeze to try some cross-country ski de fond at lower altitude: Thinking of the rather fun groomed-track network of La Feclaz / Le Revard : I'll get out early for some fast skating, Sharon might wait until if softens a bit for better grip for classic striding.

? maybe a pulse of fresh snow coming around Thursday ?

Ken

Post edited at 18:58
OP kenr 29 Jan 2018

Great day of skating on groomed nordic tracks of Savoie Grand Revard for Sharon+me. Third day of very fun cross-country skiing for us so far this trip.

There are three main entrance / parking areas for SGR. The Chambery + Isere skiers are closest to the S entry, so they call the whole network "La Feclaz" (as do I). The Annecy + Haute Savoie skiers are closest to N entry, so I guess they call it "Le Revard".

Today Sharon wanted to ski the wonderful Grand Teppe area, so we drove thru La Feclaz and the road over the top (with big view W over Lac du Bourget) to reach Le Revard / Porte Crolles so she could skiing from there.

I love the trails around there too. Started with the Grand Teppe: fun fast snow w dips + curves, next past open fields with cowherd huts. Next headed off the groomed piste, and enjoyed skating "free" on the supportive re-frozen surface. Rejoined the trails to return to start Le Revard / Crolles.

Next decided to go for loop to La Feclaz. First l'Olette easy+fun, then the fun curvy downhill finish on Plan G. From La Feclaz entry, took Trois Croix to Bois Brule (with the toughest uphill), and finished with the super-curvy descent to the restaurant by parking Revard Crolles.

Meanwhile Sharon did much more than just the Grand Teppe loop. After waiting half-hour for snow to soften for better grip classic striding, she first visited the 3rd entry/parking of St Francois, then out to Refuge de la Platte for a snack, finally across the Grand Teppe and up to meet me at the restaurant.

Post edited at 12:16
OP kenr 31 Jan 2018

Uphill skinning (mostly) on groomed pistes was my main focus Tuesday at a different station in the Vanoise. Then after I reached the top, turned out the off-piste on SE + S below 2800m had transformed fairly well, so I enjoyed lots of fun downhill turns on just-right-mushiness in the afternoon. Which gave me ideas for further exploration again some day soon.

Then I got the idea of finding a better (more direct) uphill route by eliminating a long gentle section. Well I found a sign for a hiking trail to do that. But then later it disappeared, and I worked a long time thrashing thru dense trees, including moves hauling myself up grabbing branches.
. . (Oh well, next time check topo map first).

Effort for day: +1260m vertical from station to top, then +275m exploring -- total +1535m vertical -- pretty good for me for early season.

Post edited at 17:32
OP kenr 31 Jan 2018

Off-piste today amazing in the Vanoise. Just as I hoped, the snow on sun-exposed slopes below 2800m in the afternoon was nicely transformed -- fun turns all the way. At lower altitude, SE was getting good corn-mushiness already late morning.

Sharon waited until 11 to start her uphill skinning workout, found that the hardpack on piste had softened enough so she could make it skinning thru the steeper sections without using ski-crampons/couteaux/harscheisen.

I purchased a lift ticket, to maximize my exploring. I found untracked lines, long sustained 35 degrees, alongside dramatic rocks. Once booted up +100m vertical above a lift to grab an interesting-looking steep shot, but otherwise just traversed out from the lifts.

Ken

Post edited at 17:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...