UKC

scottish ski touring conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chrisharvey 18 Feb 2013
Just wondering if anyone's got any advice or photos of the latest conditions. Thinking of heading up for a couple fo days at the end of the week and wondering what the coverage is like?
Cheers
 janeykennedy 18 Feb 2013
In reply to chrisharvey: cover around glenshee area was good on friday. could ski to and from the car.

See www.getoutadventures.co.uk

It was a bit warmer over the weekend though. check winterhighland.info webcams as well and theres also touring reports on there stuff will be do able for sure.

Have fun!
macstinator 18 Feb 2013
In reply to janeykennedy:

I was at the west end of Ben Lawers on Saturday, and it was garbage. Reading, here, however, that the east side, which we missed, was better.

Around Nevisrange looks spectacular.

There is a British Backcountry group on FB that gives a good account, on occasion, just to balance the "go to winterhighland.com" brigade, who feature on every Scottish skiing thread!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/502879386398375/
 Mark Bull 18 Feb 2013
In reply to chrisharvey:

Good conditions around Drumochter yesterday: solid cover above 600m and linkable patches down to 400m on S and E aspects. Forecast is for cold and cloudy weather in the second half of the week, so current spring snow conditions liable to firm up (i.e. turn to ice!).
 IainMunro 18 Feb 2013
In reply to chrisharvey:

Skied the Cairngorm 4000ers on Sunday, good cover right down into the Lairig Ghru (we skied over the River Dee!) Enjoy!

Iain
 David Barratt 19 Feb 2013
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp: Sunburnt!?!?! you lucky chap.
 Mike-W-99 19 Feb 2013
In reply to chrisharvey:
Sunday - http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?50,3321

(May also show climbing conditions)
 David Barratt 20 Feb 2013
In reply to chrisharvey: Thought I'd give this a bump as I'd like to know conditions for this coming weekend. planning on heading up to Glas Maol, East of Glen Shee.
 Jim Braid 20 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt: I was up there walking yesterday. Great conditions though icy at start and softening up later in the day. Number of ski tourers about mainly heading over towards Carn of Claise. Hills are plastered in snow. I'll put up a couple of photos to give you an idea.
In reply to Jim Braid: Photos would be great. Had considered a camp and a tour down into GlenCallater as well but suspect snow cover might be worse that far down. Plus it seems I might have my brothers birthday thing to go to.
Slugain Howff 20 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
> (In reply to Jim Braid) Photos would be great. Had considered a camp and a tour down into GlenCallater as well but suspect snow cover might be worse that far

Yep - stay high.

Jim Braid 20 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Check this out as well.

http://saisscairngorms.blogspot.co.uk/

That's just how it was.
In reply to Jim Braid: Your photos are encouraging. Can't wait until Saturday now. Hope the cloud won't be too bad. I'm going to go up Carn an Tuirc, across to Glas Maol, and down via Sron na Gaoithe. My first Ski tour, so no idea on time... any knowledge would be gratefully received.
 Jim Braid 20 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Not too sure on the time. If you've to do a lot of navigation due to cloud then could be slow but I would guess around 5 hours. You could always cut down Sron na Gaoithe without going up Glas Maol if you're pushed for time.
 connor 20 Feb 2013
In reply to chrisharvey:

http://barebackclimbing.blogspot.co.uk/

Brand new blog post.

Will Rowland has been skiing on the Ben! sounds ice !!!!
 David Barratt 22 Feb 2013
In reply to chrisharvey: One last bump since the weekend is now here. Going up Glas Moal in the morning. I hear it's a bit icey, first ever ski tour so am a bit wary. Am prepared to turn back though. got the crampons ready.
Slugain Howff 22 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt:

I let you away with it on another thread but I imagine you are going up Glas Maol
 David Barratt 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff: haha, sorry, Glas mAOl
 Jim Braid 22 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt: I put the crampons on in the car park at about 9.30am., had them on for couple of hours or so, took them off for most of the walk on the tops then back on for the steeper part of the descent and just left them on till the end.
semw 27 Feb 2013
Has anyone been out in the Lawers range recently and know how the snow is holding up? How high is the snow line? Am wondering where would be best this weekend...
Thanks!
 OwenM 27 Feb 2013
In reply to chrisharvey: I was up at Ben Lawers on Sunday, snow down to around 650m-ish. Meall Corranaich or the Tarmachan's looked do-able. But the snow is going fast.
 AG 28 Feb 2013
In reply to semw: killin outdoor shop are quite helpful with conditions. In that area i'd recommend ben heasgarnich - holds the snow better than most of the hills in the area and the start (if you can get up the road) in 500m ish.
The snow conditions don't seem to have changed very much over the past week but the surface conditions should soften nicely by the weekend (hopefully!)
 Gael Force 01 Mar 2013
In reply to AG: The snow conditions across the the whole of the Ben Lawers have been excellent all week. Skied all the corries over the past couple of days, but softening now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...