UKC

Scottish ski touring in the last few days ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 11 Mar 2016
Anybody been out and about in the last few days ? If so where, what , when etc ?
Thanks in advance
Removed User 12 Mar 2016
In reply to mike123:
Yes, details from an amazing Thursday here:, http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/blog/glencoe-haute-route
We skiied over Macdui yesterday (Friday), in total whiteroom dreichness.
Post edited at 14:18
 Nemo9 12 Mar 2016
In reply to mike123:

Hi Mike, on Thursday I skied from Cairngorm down to and across Loch Avon and up Beinn Mheadhion . Conditions were amazing, probably the best day I've had ever on skis. However, this is pretty much irrelevant now. Last couple of days has seen a big rise in temperature, warm wind and rain. Probably need to wait till Monday to see whats left.
 Seocan 12 Mar 2016
In reply to mike123:

checkout wmterhighland, that alway has recent tour reports posted
 Mark Bull 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Seocan:

Winterhighland seems to have somewhat fallen into disuse for ski touring reports, only about a dozen this season, last was on March 4th. Is there somewhere else that folk are posting reports?
 Fiona Reid 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Mark Bull:
The British Backcountry group on Facebook gets a fair bit of traffic these days. Quite a few familiar names from Winterhighland have cropped up there.

It's an open group so you don't need to be a member to view posts etc. You do need a Facebook account but you can stay completely incognito should you just want to view the posts etc. Obviously you'd need to join to post photos etc or reply to stuff.

Having resisted Facebook for years I finally gave in as it seemed where everyone was posting info on climbing and skiing conditions.
Post edited at 17:27
 Snowdave 12 Mar 2016
In reply to mike123:

I'm not of facebook ,so look at the web cams for the ski areas & met office weather for the summits & the base levels, & SAIS blog photos for the relevant area.

Thursday was terrific for off piste touring, but most of this has now melted & gone, so need to be above 900m for anything decent, patchy down to 600m, then sweet FA!
 Mark Bull 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks for that - I guess I might have to give in to FB too!
OP mike123 16 Mar 2016
 jpicksley 17 Mar 2016
In reply to mike123:

I toured over from Coire Cas to Ben Macdui yesterday (Wednesday) via 1141 and the high corries (Raibert and Domhain). Other than a couple of very short sections (literally 5 metres each) I was on skis all day from about 10 metres out of the Coire Cas car park. I went back basically the same way but over Cairngorm and down the White Lady. The off piste down hill sections where lovely - better than the pistes.

There looked to be full cover still over the other side of the Lairag Ghru on the Braeriach area (although I'm pretty sure you'd have to do a fair amount of walking if you dropped into the Lairig Ghru from Ben Macdui and went up to the Braeriach area) and there looked to be some great snow fields in other areas but I can't confirm how possible it is to link routes together so you don't have to walk much.

If you go up the south side of Cairngorm itself and traverse round so you're above the Ptarmigan bowl you can avoid the rocks on the top and still ski pretty much the whole way.

There's still plenty to do out there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...