UKC

Scottish skiing with kids this winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 05 Nov 2018

I've been taking the kids to Cairngorm for a couple of long weekends for the last few years and having  skied at all the Scottish resorts over the years have found  Cairngorm + funicular to work well. But I think  Cairngorm with no funicular will be a poor option mainly getting 3 kids up the hill will be real pain uplift wise. I wonder if anybody on here has thoughts on this ? 

summo 05 Nov 2018
In reply to mike123:

Kids learn to use rows quick especially if staff help place the t bar or you stand next to them and set two off as a pair first.

The problem at cairngorm could be one of queues as without the train the rows will be mobbed. They really have made a complete cluster there. 

Doug 05 Nov 2018
In reply to summo:

Aren't the remaining  tows to access the Ptarmigan basin intermediate/expert only ? So not only queues but probably lots of skiers falling off the tow leading to even longer queues.

If you're looking for somewhere with a range of accommodation not to far from the lifts I suspect Aonach Mor would be the best option (snow/weather permitting)

Stuart S 05 Nov 2018
In reply to mike123:

I taught my kids to ski at the Lecht, which was perfect for beginners progressing from the nursery runs right in front of the cafe and with easy travellator-style lifts, and others with simple grab handles, to the Kestrel with a slow easy button lift, and then on to the Eagle and Grouse.  Once they got the hang of those runs, we started going to Glenshee for the wider choice of runs.  

I guess accommodation options are much more limited than Aviemore, but Braemar gives reasonable access to both Glenshee and the Lecht.

Snowdave 05 Nov 2018
In reply to mike123:

So no funicular, so you have to hope that the snow reaches car park level other wise there is no way to access the slopes via pomas/T-bars, so you have to walk up.

CGML is being given £1million by HIE to buy snow factories to solve this problem, so they will be able to "snow" the lower tows so that you can use the tows to gain access to all of the mountain & the upper basin above the top station of the funicular.

However there are only two "tows" that actually go to the top station level, for mid station level..one is the West wall poma..the other is the M1 poma, & both are for "experts" only. So you have to walk up the "traverse".....

However CGML is basically closing off the whole top section above the top station, as they have told all the catering staff to not bother , so they are not even opening the café/toilets etc. So all skiers will be confined to the bottom two thirds of the mountain...plenty of green runs & beginners areas here....however the fact that CGML also told the ski school to not bother & closed that down, also confirms that even with snow making that the lower slopes if no natural snow will be a wash out & crowded on the manmade snow...

Go to the Lecht…..

summo 05 Nov 2018
In reply to Doug:

> Aren't the remaining  tows to access the Ptarmigan basin intermediate/expert only ? So not only queues but probably lots of skiers falling off the tow leading to even longer queues.

Can't they just do what any normal ski resort does. Tows run at a speed to match the clientele and runs.. ie. They'll have to slow them down. You employ people that assist skiers get on the tows and so on. 

As said above the bigger problem will be even getting to the mid station in the first. Best avoid and take your money elsewhere. 

Floquet 05 Nov 2018
In reply to mike123:

+1 more for the Lecht. You can reach it from Aviemore in under an hour, or as stated above, stay in Braemar (or even Ballater) and have both the  Lecht and Glenshee as an option.

For kids and/or beginners, thet Lecht is excellent.The day lodge being right by the slopes is useful in poorer weather, and while the area is not the most extensive, for beginners it's more than enough terrain. It's also more sheltered from the wind than Cairngorm.

When looking for progression, Glenshee's large intermediate areas are a great next step, and the new Cairnwell chair has helped reduce queues across the mountain. Glenshee also has a lot of lifts so queuing is rarely a problem, and gives a great feeling of travelling around.

??If off slope, is important, you may find Nevis is better. Fort William is no Aviemore, but it does have a swimming pool, indoor bowlings & soft play (at Nevis Center) and an excellent bouldering/climbing wall at three wise monkeys (and Ice Factor is 40mins away at kinlochleven). It's slopes are more exposed in my view, but can be excellent in good weather. You can also reach Glencoe in similar time, but while its excellent, i'd say not the best for beginners unless the weather is nice  and calm and the plateau has good cover.

If I'm honest, Cairngorm was always my last choice for a Scottish ski trip. It's furthest away from me, and on my rare visits was always too busy, or closed due to high winds on arrival. 

I haven't been there in over five years (last year's attempt with a friend with local accomodation, was diverted to the Lecht due to, you've guessed it, closure due high winds). 

Hope you have a great time wherever you go 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...