UKC

Ski boot heaters?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 16 Nov 2017

I had a touch of frostbite in my big toe whilst downhill skiing last year so I am thinking of getting a battery powered heating system installed in my boots. Has anyone had any experience of these?
 ColdWill 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:
Yeap, really good. I went with the heated insole from Sidas. They really work well, I got caught out in Canada once and luckily had them in. I got really bad frozen heels but my toes were ok. If you've had damage already they are definitely worth the investment as it doesn't take much to make damaged toes worse as you probably know. I can't bring myself to sell mine even though I hardly use them after that experience.
wasn't so keen on heated socks as I already had mine dialled so didn't want to change but in principle they are the same.
Post edited at 09:44
 John2 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Or maybe think about getting some better liners - when I was in Canada I bought some Intuition liners, which coped well when the temperature stayed below -30 for a whole week.
In reply to Postmanpat:

There is definitely something wrong with the liner system or your socks if you are having such severe problems. Ski boots really have to be just the right size, combined with the best socks - designed for ski boots - that you can get hold of. I never had any problems skiing in Canada every weekend day for three years in temperatures down to -30C, with the right combination of boots and socks.
OP Postmanpat 16 Nov 2017
In reply to John Stainforth:

> There is definitely something wrong with the liner system or your socks if you are having such severe problems. Ski boots really have to be just the right size, combined with the best socks - designed for ski boots - that you can get hold of. I never had any problems skiing in Canada every weekend day for three years in temperatures down to -30C, with the right combination of boots and socks.

Boots are custom fitted and adjusted since first fitting and socks are ski socks. First time I've had a problem in 45 years including 3 years in these boots and socks, so it was odd I(but it was -30). One foot is bigger than than the other so it's difficult to get it exactly right I guess although they are comfortable. As coldwill says, the problem now is that the damage is done so I don't want to take the risk again even if the liners could be adjusted more.
 HeMa 16 Nov 2017
In reply to John Stainforth and John2:

While liners and proper gear can & will help.

There are other factors at play. What works on someone might not work with others. E.g. if you hav had frostbite before, you are much more likely to get frostbite again.

The casepoint that you could ski in -30 C simply means that for you it works. There are others, that it simply isn't the case.

To OP. Heated footbeds work, but there are differences. Also keep in mind that once you have them, they ain't that easy to move to another pair of boots/shoes. My friend got heated socks, which seem a much better idea. After all, those you can use with all boots (as long as the sock is high enough to get the battery compartment out of the boot).
 summo 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Strange how it just appeared, I guess you know your boots etc.. and exactly where you normally tighten each buckle etc..

Have you had cold damage or an injury to that foot from another sport? That could then have reduced circulation. I also know someone with low blood pressure who always has cold hands and feet to contend with.

Or are you skiing much more casually or stylishly, working less, so your body is not generating the heat so much. Even the types of lifts and tows, can impact how much you cool down during the day.
In reply to summo:

> Strange how it just appeared, I guess you know your boots etc.. and exactly where you normally tighten each buckle etc..

> Have you had cold damage or an injury to that foot from another sport? That could then have reduced circulation. I also know someone with low blood pressure who always has cold hands and feet to contend with.

>
I'd had bruising on it/lost a nail from a previous boot and from ski touring and aggravated it in tight rock shoes so I think you are right, it was probably vulnerable.
 inboard 16 Nov 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Check Ross Hewitt’s blog, I think he used (and wrote a review article) of heated socks on a recent Baffin ski expedition. Lots of great photos on his blog too...
In reply to inboard:

Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll go ahead with either socks or insoles!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...