UKC

Ski Mount Toubkal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ams558 24 Oct 2012
Has anyone on here been ski mountaineering on Mount Toubkal? Is it possible to do it early Jan (appreciate that this depends each year on the snow!!), any good local knowledge?

Thanks in advance.
 Rob84 24 Oct 2012
In reply to ams558: I was there over New Year in 2008 climbing the Ouanoums Ridge and doing a bit of ice cragging rather than skiing, but there were quite a few French and Spanish ski mountaineers in the hut. I didn't really ski much back then but I'd quite like to go back for a ski trip now - it did look pretty good. Probably best to speak to someone who has actually skiied it though!
sdjhayes 20 Nov 2012
In reply to ams558: Yep - great skiing there depending on the Winter of course... the French have been doing it for years!!!
Fantastic run down the main couloir off Toubkal, tends to get quite a lot of sastrugi/wind blown crests in it though.
Top Tip: DO hire a mule up to the refuges (easier than carrying your kit), and DO use the newer Mouflans Refuge - it's way more comfortable
Give the guys at Cotswold Outdoor in Betws-y-coed (Royal oak) a yell - it has become a staff favourite there, as it is cheaper than going to Scotland at that time of year...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...