UKC

ski mountaineering in Kyrgyztan in july

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomytwotoes 27 Jan 2016
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any information on ski mountaineering in Kyrgyztan in the summer.
in Vladimir komissarov's phf/book Mountaineering regions of Kyrgyztan it says that in the Aksyirak range it is possible to do very good quality ski mountaineering until the second half of August.
Has anyone been there? does anyone know anything about it?

thank you for your help
 Hunky Dory 15 Feb 2016
In reply to mateocaramessaddler:

There has been loads done.....partly by the Eagle ski club.....how well documented the trips are im uncertain .Dave wynn Jones has led many of the trips. Regards H
OP tomytwotoes 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Hunky Dory:

thank you for answering! they seem to have done 3 trips there, I'm definitely considering paying the joining fee just to have a look at the info.
In reply to mateocaramessaddler:

Hi
Ak Shirak would be a nightmare for skiing in July with conditions similar to the Alps in summer rather than spring snow. I wouldn't go there later than March given the ongoing evidence of climate change we experienced over the years.
When I climbed Pik Lenin in August there were a few people attempting ski ascents: the north face is a fine objective and the height means there's better snow. Other satellite peaks might be good too. Full reports on my Ak-Shirak expeditions were written up for the MEF; copies should be available from the Alpine Club.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...