UKC

Ski Race Funding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ford23 07 Nov 2016
Hello all,
In March this year I am going to be taking part in a lifelong if not ridiculous dream. I am going to be taking part in a 100km semi polar ski race called expedition Amundsen in Norway. It is a 2-3 day race, depending if you like sleep or not, in utterly freezing temperatures and generally miserable conditions. I would like to take this opportunity to do something slightly more sensible and raise some money for charity whilst I’m doing it, for prostate cancer UK, so if you pity me or are feeling charitable any donations to the following page would be hugely appreciated (all these donations just go to charity)!!
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/seth-ford
Also as is the way with such a foolish undertaking I am in need of monetary/equipment generoisty so if you are feeling even more generous and would like to give any money for equipment and organisation of the event any donations to this page would be hugely appreciated:
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/seth-ford
Very much a long shot but If you are an outdoor person and by any chance had any of the following around that could be donated that would be more than enormously appreciated (long lasting headlight (all night ability), full winter hooded down jacket, winter down bag, single skin light tent, hand held map compatible system GPS, racing touring skis, pulk). If you know of any company who would like to advertise on the side of the pulk (and included in many photos, local papers ect) would love to be put in touch.
Huge thanks for reading!
Seth
 TobyA 07 Nov 2016
In reply to ford23:

Good luck! If the race is on the Hardangervidda plateau, it's not really "polar" though, "semi" or not. Must be best part of a 1000 kms still to the Arctic circle. Looks a great event though!
OP ford23 08 Nov 2016
Hello,

sorry if this has come across wrongly however this is exactly what I was trying to avoid. Im hoping to do the race and that's my bit, I would like to raise money exclusively as an aside for that, I simply think there is no bad reason to raise awareness of a charity. The money for the charity side is going to exactly that. Sorry for any miscommunication on that front.
 summo 08 Nov 2016
In reply to ford23:

> Very much a long shot but If you are an outdoor person and by any chance had any of the following around that could be donated that would be more than enormously appreciated (long lasting headlight (all night ability), full winter hooded down jacket, winter down bag, single skin light tent, hand held map compatible system GPS, racing touring skis, pulk). If you know of any company who would like to advertise on the side of the pulk (and included in many photos, local papers ect) would love to be put in touch.

I presume you are part of a team or group. You should have this kit already from using it when gaining some experience. If you don't really have the experience then if the weather turns bad you'll become a casualty. Are you doing their training course? 100km on skis isn't that extreme, there are numerous races (vasloppet, birkebeiner...) ever winter that do 70-90km with thousands of competitors, it's the pulling of 40kgs minimum which will hurt. I presume you've got a little experience of this too? Not wanting to sound negative, but this isn't really an intro event.

galpinos 08 Nov 2016
In reply to ford23:

Slightly off topic but

> racing touring skis

Do people not use Nordic kit for this kind of thing?
OP ford23 08 Nov 2016
In reply to summo:

I am doing the solo race so no team, do have most of the kit but missing some things, more the stuff especially suited to an event like this. Have experience on ski's and in bad weather of all sorts, just not done a race like this before which makes it very exciting!
 Nordic 08 Nov 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Yes, I'd be very surprised if anyone was using anything but Nordic kit for that race.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...