UKC

Ski Skiddaw?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gammarus 12 Jul 2020

Thinking ahead to next winter, has anyone experience of skiing off the back of Skiddaw or Blencathra?

Harry Ellis 13 Jul 2020
In reply to gammarus:

Have skied off the back of Blencathra a couple of times. The slope down into Roughton gill can be good for a few laps on different lines Car park above Blencathra centre provides a good high start point. All depends on where the snow blows in from of course. Slopes on Skiddaw down towards Skiddaw House will be a good bet if snow has come in on westerly winds. Give Skiddaw House Facebook page a follow. 

Dark-Cloud 13 Jul 2020
In reply to gammarus:

If you are on Facebook join the British Backcountry group, loads of old posts about Blencathra and Skiddaw

Post edited at 12:25
OP gammarus 13 Jul 2020

Thanks Harry Ellis and Sans-Plan. Fingers crossed for lots of the white stuff ...

In reply to gammarus:

Yes, brilliant conditions in jan 2010. A group of us skinned up the north side from the road, to the summit and back down. Had to watch out you didn't catch a tip on the top of a fence post! Fabulous views - the whole of the Lakes was an Arctic wilderness.

Jim Lancs 15 Jul 2020
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

> Yes, brilliant conditions in Jan 2010. A group of us skinned up the north side from the road, to the summit and back down. Had to watch out you didn't catch a tip on the top of a fence post! Fabulous views - the whole of the Lakes was an Arctic wilderness.

I've added a couple of photos to my Photo Gallery that I took in the Blencathra / Skiddaw area in January 2010 and a couple of weeks earlier at the end of Decemeber.

In reply to Jim Lancs:

Particularly like the one with the paraglider in it!

I've added four to my gallery just to show how good conditions can get, and within living memory too. Mind you, that was an amazing winter for ice climbing as well.

Mr James - why is there no department for ski-mountaineering photos when you have a forum devoted to the subject?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...