UKC

Ski touring in Bohinj

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
damhan-allaidh 31 Oct 2016

Curiosity has been piqued by lifelong desire to visit Ljubljana and to ski tour somewhere different than Scotland/Aosta valley. Has anyone been touring in Bohinj? Any advice, information, things definitely to do (as well as those to avoid) and good stories would be most welcome! (Level: BSA/MSA). Thanks!
Post edited at 16:13
woolhead 31 Oct 2016
In reply to damhan-allaidh:

My knowledge is limited to a handful of days so not extensive by any means but:
Like anywhere it can be great but does suffer from being low [ valley at 550m upto 2000m or thereabouts within the valley] so can struggle for decent conditions. That said, if you are flexible on when you travel it is a stunning area and certainly has options at the level of BSA/MSA. I just got hold of the maps and went from there as conditions allowed and had fun at Vogel ski area when they didn't. Crna Prst and Rodica were two of the peaks I did when conditions worked out and were grand days out. You're also near enough mountains to keep you busy for a lifetime if Bohinj itself doesn't look so good and you have a vehicle.

If you can read Italian you are in luck as there are two very good guides for the Julian Alps available (Sci Alpinismo nelle Alpi Giulie [Orientale] is the one with Bohinj in) which are bang up to date and quite comprehensive. I've got the guides and could take pics of the Bohinj pages if it helps...Not sure about English language guides as I didn't look once I found the above as they are very good.

Depending on when you are thinking of I might be a lot more in the know once the season in in full swing as I'm in the Julian Alps fulltime playing about for the next while so imagine I'll have a better idea in a few months.

Have fun if you do decide to try it, it's beautiful here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...