UKC

Ski touring in Polish High Tatras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nutme 06 Dec 2016

Anyone done it?

Terrain looks very interesting and crevasse free, so less gear to carry!
I have been to Tatras before - climbing, walking and alpine skiing. But now planning my first ski tour.

What have you done? What was great and what boring? Are huts opened in the winter? GPX tracks of actual routes would be awesome as well! From climbing I remember a lot of red tape in the national park. Is it a case for touring as well?

P.S.: Where seems to be a decent guidebook "Tatry na nartach Przewodnik skiturowy", but I can't find anyone shipping it to UK. Maybe someone has a copy to lend / sell?
Post edited at 10:29
 Airtime! 06 Dec 2016
In reply to nutme:

I've met a couple of French guides who rave about it but haven't been yet. It's on the list.
That's the best guide and quite new. Have you tried empik.pl? They might be able to send it
over. Sort of the Polish version of WHSmith.

Cheers
 Doug 06 Dec 2016
In reply to nutme:

Fairly sure there have been some articles in the Eagle Ski Club annual report if you have access
OP nutme 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Airtime!:

Thanks!

They are out of stock. I checked with all shops I could find online. but none seems to ship to UK. Will probably contact directly, but in very worst case scenario will get a book on arrival.
 Airtime! 06 Dec 2016
In reply to nutme:

Yep, it is a bit of a struggle. I had a copy delivered to my (Polish) mother-in-law but afraid i can't get it to you. Best getting a copy in person. Where are you going to be based / start from and do you speak the language? I'll see what help I can be.
OP nutme 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Airtime!:

In Zakopane and will have a rental car with chains, so quite flexible.
Basic Polish myself and my friend. Speaking Russia quite well. In past Russian worked much better than English
 Chris Beck 06 Dec 2016
In reply to nutme:

Try Ksiegarnia.wspinanie.pl , otherwise you will get them no problem in the mountain bookshop in Zakopane.
Worth also getting the new guidebook to offpiste on the Polish side.
 Airtime! 06 Dec 2016
In reply to nutme:

As mentioned by Christian you'll be fine getting a copy in Zakopane. English will be a better bet than Russian nowadays down there although they'll appreciate your efforts to speak Polish. Beware the mountain dialect! Have a great trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...