UKC

/ skins in sub-zero

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
la xerra - on 08 Feb 2018

hi to all, this morning i got up at 6 to go skiing here (village in los picos de europa - this year we are lucky,  an ongoing blizzard keeps us at 400 m covered, it even snowed down at the beach, 20km bee-line from here). i had the skins inside the cabin overnight - temp 3 degrees ;  outside -2. the ´funny´ thing is, those f*ckers gave me the brush-off.. there was no way to make them stick.... i ended up putting them on, without sticking to the skis - just the tension between front and back-hook kept them ´on´. but 20 minutes or so into climbing the rear-hook of one skin ripped off (smart-ass me). ... and i had the option to call it quits, or... well.... climb just in boots. (the snow was about knee-deep when the skin snapped... and i ended up climbing about 600m, before, close to up to my, yes, smart-ass in snow... before i put the skis on to ski down. any advice (beside, the obious, i should see a head-doctor, haha). appreciated, , . . , . ,  muchas gracias y un abrazo de españa - peter

ebdon on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to la xerra:

Stick them down your jumper for a bit to warm them up. A friend had a similar issue not that long ago and it worked wonders. Also do the same on the descent if its really cold.

Doug on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to la xerra:

Not uncommon, especially if the glue is old &/or dirty. Skin glue in an aerosol is a quick fix if its not too cold, while in desperation a few strips of duct tap or similar will keep the skins on but make them difficult to get off. If you are intending to use your skins again later its worth keeping them inside your jacket or elsewhere to keep them warm - sometimes that's enough to get them to stick after they've become unstuck.

Maybe not so true now, but in the past American glue seemed to work better at low temperatures than  European

ebdon on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to la xerra:

Another emergency repair is to use the strap for tying your skis together to keep the skin on. Not very efficient but will get you home.

la xerra - on 08 Feb 2018

hi, thanks for the feedback, a few points:

_a  the temperature of the skis themselves doesnt affect stickiness¿ (lets say the outside temp is way below zero.... -:-  of course, i could try to stick the skis im the jumper , too)

_b Skin glue in an aerosol: is that, more or less, plug and play¿

_c duct-tape: sounds great, i love duct-tape (and, lest not forget, the u.s.-gov recommends it in a nuclear war as well... to stay save at home)..... but: how to you apply it¿¿ 1/2 on top of ski & 1/2 over the outside/margin os the skins¿ etc¿

_d emergency-strap: here i am lost completely... how could straps secure the skins for climbing (you say it will get me home: but, typically, home is always dooooown, thusly: off-skin skiing

cheers again, peter

ebdon on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to la xerra:

You use the strap to get the skin tight against one ski much the same as gaffer tape would work. This is useful if either one of the skin clips is broken or the skin is not sticking. Its handy as most people will be carrying the strap but the may not have tape.  By get you home i ment a short term quick and dirty fix.

la xerra - on 09 Feb 2018

how many of you use ´modified´ skins?

(like, now that the rear-clip of one skin snapped i am thinking about getting rid of the other rear-clip as well, adn go on both skins with ´loose´ ends, just using adhesive and spit* as bond -:- i know some guys down here in spain who do that, but, stupidly enough,  never asked them )

* Eisenstein worried the entire evening. In “A Miracle at the Bolshoi,” he writes: “I worried not only for the film's sake, but because of the spit. The last part of the film was held together by spit

earlsdonwhu - on 09 Feb 2018
In reply to la xerra:

It is quite handy to have some duct tape wrapped round ski poles a good few times. Then it is easily available for skin sticking issues or any other minor repairs eg to clothing etc.

top cat on 09 Feb 2018
In reply to la xerra:

--2°C is not cold.   My skins work just fine at -15°C... ?????

girlymonkey - on 09 Feb 2018
In reply to la xerra:

I use gekko skins and they stick no matter what. Wet, snowy etc all fine. My husband uses his without tail clips no bother

purplemonkeyelephant - on 09 Feb 2018
In reply to top cat:

Yeah, the glue is supposed to work on snow which by it's nature is below freezing!

daWalt on 09 Feb 2018
In reply to la xerra:

sounds suspicious,

the only time i'v had skin glue fail, completely and irrecoverably, was because I had used fluro-wax and probably not scraped the wax off the base properly.

this seemed to leave a thin layer of fluro over the glue causing it to be really not-sticky..... it was dam lucky that one of our group was carrying a can of spray glue.

la xerra - on 09 Feb 2018
In reply to daWalt:

"sounds suspicious,"

i was out skiing the very afternoon before that happened the next morning. i thought i was (still ) dreaming...  admittedly, the conditions of the skins are a bit neglected  - but they still ´worked swell´ just 14 hours before.

btw, is there any (homemade¿) cheaper stuff out there to use as adhesive.... the small can i got left here still has the price-sticker on ; almost 30 euros... jesus f christ!

cheers

daWalt on 09 Feb 2018
In reply to la xerra:

well, when mine failed so spectacularly it was at the end of the 2nd day.....

and the glue was never as good after - it worked, but just not as good as everyone else's....

30 brick for a can of glue is a bit steep. but i'll not advise any bodge 

http://snowboardmountaineer.com/tech-tip-skins/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.