UKC

Skis on planes, KLM!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Goodwin 05 Apr 2023

Hey a quick query if anyone knows...

Taking skis onto a KLM flight counts as your checked luggage, if the weight comes in as under 23kg would they mind or know whether there is one or two pairs in the bag..... Has anyone been pulled up for having more than one pair of skis in a bag!! 

Cheers 

Mike-W-99 05 Apr 2023
In reply to Dan Goodwin:

Not with klm but never had an issue with other airlines. Record (from memory) was 2 snowboards, skis and a set of snow blades.

Jenny C 05 Apr 2023
In reply to Dan Goodwin:

If you're within weight I can't see it being a problem.

Years ago KLM offered very generous (pre booked) additional weight allowance for sports gear. No idea if it still applies, but I think that did list what could be included, however I very much doubt if anyone would ever bother checking inside the bags.

alasdair19 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Dan Goodwin

Check your T and C's. I flew Norwegian recently and it expressly insisted that ski's must be paid for as outsize baggage. 

I was underweight and the size allowed would have accommodated the skis but had to cough up. 

HeMa 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Dan Goodwin:

So... it really boils down to the airline rules/defintions...

I haven't flow in a few years with skis... so take with pinch of salt... exact details can be found from the airlines webpages about it. But I recall there has been three (or perhaps four) different practices.

1. Skibag is in addition of you checked luggage, some limitations might apply (e.g. sub 9kg, can only include a pair of skis, poles and boots). But free of charge... sometimes prior notice of these is required. Lufthansa and I think Finnair used to have these kinds of rules.

2. Skibag is considered sports equipment... so in addition to your normal checked luggage... and you need to pay for it extra... again airline specific requirements, about size and weight etc. But generally speaking they are max 23kg... so if you have a big skibag, you can actually cram your clothes there are well and only need that one bag...

3. Skibag is considered normal checked luggage... if you only have that to be checked... again airline specific limitations (weight, size... and also charge). If you still need to check yor normal luggage, see option 2.

The real difference is that for option 1. getting the skis onboard is rather easy and not affecting other stuff or an additional cost (put the tickets might be more spendy).

Options 2 and 3, are more iffy (read the fineprint and FAQ from your airline carefully). Extra costs might be there, like some companies (cheap airfare) stated that in order to get sporting equipment bought, you also need to buy the checked luggage... even if you had nothing more than the skibag. 

kevin stephens 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Dan Goodwin: this topic is discussed regularly and lengthly on the Snowheads forum but basically if your ski bag meets the dimensions and weight criteria you can put in what you want.  

Post edited at 08:21
 Fat Bumbly2 06 Apr 2023
In reply to alasdair19:

Not very Norwegian - would have thought that close to treason there.

norrisdan71 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Dan Goodwin:

Flew with a ridiculously heavy ski bag on SAS and BA in Feb without issues (unless you count losing the baggage, seems to be part of the Heathrow Experience these days). I had one set of skis but stuffed the ski bag with loads of other equipment right up to the 23kg limit. I've found booking business class with 2x23kg hold luggage allowance tends to get you shoed away to the outsized baggage desk without worrying about weight. Works out OK if you would otherwise be booking cattle-class and paying for extra bags.

mike123 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Dan Goodwin: I used to fly klm alot for work and they were one of the best/ most flexible  at handling bikes and skis   at no extra cost . All airlines have different rules so the best thing to do is get an email confirming what their policy is . This prevents a checkin agent who doesn’t work directly for them telling you something different on the day . 

TheGeneralist 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Dan Goodwin:

We regularly took four pairs of skis in one bag with Swiss, Lufthansa and Ryanair with no problems, though we had to unscrew evermore bits of bindings as the kids' pairs grew as they got older.

AIUI the one pair limit is just to minimise the carrier's financial liability in case of lost luggage.

OP Dan Goodwin 07 Apr 2023
In reply to Dan Goodwin:

thanks folks some good info. I think pack two and then look confident and smile. KLM has always seemed like a fairly easygoing airline so hopefully it should be fine!

thanks 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...