UKC

Valle Maira

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan wisey 05 Oct 2018

Hello has anybody visited Valle Maira in winter? Not much info online but ordered the guidebooks. Any recommendations on where to base ourselves for a weeks day touring, choice of restaurants and bars? 

Thanks

Jake1 07 Oct 2018
In reply to dan wisey:

Hi Dan,

went last year and stayed at Le Marmotte in Acceglio - hotel was good (and good food but maybe avoid the packed lunches) and Acceglio strikes me as the best base for touring in the valley - most good tours are within easy distance. Owners very helpful with snow conditions/suggested lines. Not much by way of restaurants/bars - it’s definitely not Chamonix.

Also, just FYI, the English version of Charamaio mai (the touring guidebook for the valley) has no images, whereas Italian copy has photos of all lines- they have both Italian and English copies there so just buy the map and take photos of the routes you want to try.

OP dan wisey 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Jake1:

Cheers for  the heads up, as long as there is somewhere to get a beer at the end of the day. It looks like a nice spot with plenty of options.

Kevski 25 Oct 2018
In reply to dan wisey:

Have you looked on the Snowheads site/forum....the Off Piste section? I haven't been there but some friends from the Briancon area have been and have almost certainly posted something.... They might be able to give you some more info. Join that forum and put up a post there....

OP dan wisey 28 Oct 2018
In reply to Kevski:

Hi Kev, I will take a look at that. Thanks a lot!

French Erick 28 Oct 2018
In reply to dan wisey:

there is always a wee ristorante in those valleys but it might not be open all week at that time of year.

There was a nice place to eat in saretto (further up the valley) and from memory a rifugio in chiappera (end of the road). 

I'd probably try to be based in chiappera personally, that way you can probably start skinning from the village.

Wherever you are, try the tete de Moise, tete de sautron, round brec du chambeyron, pointe haute de Marie... tons to go at! You might even manage to get to the Bric du Rubrens as well...can remember where the italian start is.

Paavo Lane 31 Oct 2018
In reply to dan wisey:

I was there at the end of March this year. Based at Refugio Campo Base http://www.campobaseacceglio.it/en/ at the end of the (open in winter) road near Chiappera. A very good place to stay if want somewhere not too fancy, €46 a night half board. Very good food, the staff are very friendly, knowledgeable about current conditions and suggestions for tours, plenty of tours that you can do from there, and a lot more a bit further down the valley. 

The guidebook in German or Italian is very good, its for sale in many places in the valley, easy to use with the map (which may be sufficient as already mentioned). A really good location, not too busy midweek, most of the other skiers seemed to be German speakers. 

Worth noting that last winter was very good in terms of snow cover, in many winters that may not be the case, but usually plenty to do. 

There are a few bivouac huts around that are interesting and sometimes well equipped, as well as the odd winter room in huts (including across the French border). An example of a tour we did: https://www.strava.com/activities/1474718783

Hope that helps. 

OP dan wisey 08 Nov 2018
In reply to French Erick:

Cheers for the recommendation. I have now got the two guidebooks and map so I will take a look.

OP dan wisey 08 Nov 2018
In reply to Paavo Lane:Hi Paavo, cheers for the info. Some nice pictures there on strava! It looks like a stunning place. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...