UKC

What are the Best Skis for Ski Mountaineering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any recommendations for skis, specifically for ski mountaineering?

Let me know what you use!

HeMa 17 Dec 2019
In reply to Alexander_Metcalfe:

One that is light enough, then wide enough, long enough, has the wanted turn radii and amount of rocker/camber and so on.

It really depends on your definition of ski mountaineering.

The only real suggestions are to look skis that are on the lighter end of the light-heavy spectrum, and reasonably flat tail (i.e. not a twin tip) so skins are easy to attach and no unnecessary weight. The rest is up to personal preference.

One thing to remember, is that generally light skis (especially short ones) then to have a small turn-radii. Meaning that they feel twitchy/nervous and often get deflected by harder snow/crud etc.

DaveHK 17 Dec 2019

For meaningful recommendations you'll need to tell us a bit more about what you'll be using them for and what kind of skier you are.

Pina 17 Dec 2019

Not withstanding the above, if you're talking europe (alps), then something around 90-95 waist, about your height +/-5cm depending on ski style preference and a skimo specific model (light ski) should take you quite far.

I.e dynafit cham 90, bd speed 90, BC camox freebird...etc

GarethSL 17 Dec 2019

As others have said its a lot of personal preference, but as it seems you're looking for some general inspiration - here's what I use:

Fischer transalp 80 skis in 163 cm, with fancy plstic skins and dynafit tlt superlight bindings.

Why?

They're incredibly short which makes them great on the pack for climbing. Also makes steep accents a breeze cause they're more like snow shoes and are extremely controllable uphill. 

At 1125g per ski they're basically not there.

80 mm underfoot has been sufficient for all but the worst of power days. However, whilst I'm no powder hunter they could be wider. 

The profoil skins are absolutely brilliant. 

On the negative they are pretty choppy on hardpack and very slow in late spring/ wet snow.

I'm not that fussed by the actual skiing part and am way more interested in the climbing. Thus they are are essentially what I consider an approach ski. They were also incredibly cheap. 

But as davehk says, let us know what kind of ski mountaineering you're planning to do with them  

In reply to DaveHK:

A fair point. I'm new to the ski game. 

For now, I'm looking to use it in the Alps for getting in and out of climbs.

In reply to GarethSL:

Thanks for the in-depth reply Gareth. I'll take a look at your recommendation.

To be honest, I was giving voice to an idea I've had since I got back from Switzerland this year. Two swiss guides advised me there are some mountains that just have to be climbed in winter, hence my question.

I'd be primary using looking for skis good in backcountry approaches and gulley descents after a climb. 

vscott 19 Dec 2019

As above - really depends on focus. If it’s just approach and descent then short, narrow (max 85mm) and light as possible (some use skimo skis for this), if for more all round touring then a bit wider, longer etc. Increasing numbers of brands now do superlight (sub 1kg) skis (eg atomic backland ul range), and bindings (good options under about 300g a binding now) and boots getting lighter too (approx 1kg a boot). Boots probably trickiest if not already sorted as need to work out what’s best for you to climb in - theres a salomon/arcteryx design with side ankle articulation that look good though are a bit heavier as a result ( beward in general also thin light liners which can be cold - fine if always moving but not good for slower climbing/belaying).  

philipjardine 19 Dec 2019

the sport conrad website has a good guide to the (bewildering at least to me) variety of skis and attempts to classify them into groups which is a good start.  incidentally their prices (as well as telemark pyrenees) are as good as any. 

https://www.sport-conrad.com/blog/en/ski-touring-guide-find-the-best-skis-f...

Womble 19 Dec 2019

Hey, happy to recommend loads of different options depending on what you need them for and your relative experience skiing. 

From what I can tell from what you have said, you don't sound like you are a skier? What experience do you have - you don't want to end up nackered trying to ski out of a couloir down from a climb on skinny skimo race skis and flexy boots and do your knees in because you've brought the lightest and smallest things around. 

Eg if used for approaches, you could maybe stash the skis somewhere so weight is less of an issue and you'd end up with a much cheaper and easier ski to use. 

FYI I have just upgraded to Volkl VTA 88s with marker alpinist bindings and scott cosmos boots. I would comfortably say that's a good setup for ski alpinism without getting into silly territory (money and weight). 

JuneBob 21 Dec 2019

One other thing to note is that skins with good glide are much lighter to tour with. Obviously smaller skins have less resistance, but there's a also a huge difference in grip and glide between skin types (and durability). Pomoca make the most commonly used race skins, and also have skins for bigger skis. 

Post edited at 08:09

Whilst a super light ski setup will be great for carrying over a route, and easier on the uphill, if you are new to skiing having something that's easy and fun to ski will make life much more enjoyable.

If you are leaving skis at the base of the route a ~90-100 under foot ski with pin bindings will be totally fine, and on days during the winter when conditions are good for skiing but bad for climbing will allow you to practice/enjoy skiing too.

I've used skis like these for lots of skiing in to routes around chamonix, skiing to 4000m summits, multi-day tours, powder days on the hill... I have super-light skimo skis and big, heavy powder skis, but something in the middle will let you do everything pretty well.

65 22 Dec 2019

This link is probably more helpful to you.
https://www.alpine-guides.com/ski/insider-knowledge-ski/choosing-ski-setup-...

In reply to Womble:

Well spotted, I am a complete noob to this. 

As with anything new I take up I ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research.

OwenM 24 Dec 2019

> Well spotted, I am a complete noob to this. 

How good a skier are you? Can you ski well off piste? If not you'll struggle with very lightweight compact skis.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...