UKC

XC Skiing in the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 12 Feb 2018

Thinking of getting a pair of Offtrack XC skis for the odd occasion when there's enough snow in the Peak (and when there's too much snow to climb in Scotland). Anyone do similar? If so, what's a good beginner setup? A quick google shows the Fischer Spyder 62 to be a popular option.

Cheers,

Andrew.

wbo 12 Feb 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:they look pretty ok but can you get them outside the us?  I'd look at something like Fischer E89 Crowns, a pretty good ski for all round use.  I have E89s but they're a bit clompy.

The Crown bit means waxless.  You'll be considered something of a heathen but I prefer waxless for ease of use.

Steel edges are nice unless you're going to have a dog around.  The Spider and E89s both have them

In reply to wbo:

Cheers - maybe something like that would be more suitable. The Spiders are narrow enough to use on groomed trails, but maybe trying to get one ski that does both isn't such a good idea.

wbo 12 Feb 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:you can use E89s in tracks, you just won't go so fast. Ditto 99s, but more so.  

wbo 13 Feb 2018
In reply to planetmarshall: as a bonus don't forget these might be very helpful for winter walk ins.  So definitely worth investing . 

In reply to wbo:

> as a bonus don't forget these might be very helpful for winter walk ins.  So definitely worth investing . 

It's something I've thought of before but most walkins I've done start well below the snowline and are consequently a bit steep for XC (I would think - admittedly I don't have a lot of experience). I can think of a few potential candidates, though.

I might head up to Braemar Mountain Sports at the weekend and get myself a setup.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Jim 1003 14 Feb 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

I think these skis would be a waste of time in the UK....

In reply to Jim 1003:

Which ones? The E89s? They would get use on the continent also.

phizz4 14 Feb 2018

I have used E99 waxless in the Peak District, Scotland, on and off piste in Norway and the Jura and they have worked just fine, even in groomed tracks. Ok,  you are not as fast as the locals but then no is usually. 

Jim 1003 16 Feb 2018

The idea of cross country skis for walk in to climbs in Scotland  is unlikely ever to happen, the terrain is too steep, and even with proper touring skis I rarely do it, due to variable conditions.

You would be better to learn to ski....you would get much more use from proper skis...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...