UKC

XC skis - UK use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pb-climb-up 16 Feb 2020

General questions about xc skis, how many people here have them and have used in the UK? When I say xc skis I mean the very long and skinny skis with the loose heel, not backcountry type. 

I got some off eBay few years back, the bindings were ancient but got some new ones and compatible boots (SNS bindings) and some poles. When it snows i do get out but living in Surrey conditions are never great. I have seen people taking photos as I must look very unique 😂. 

Are there are decent places in the UK for using them? I assume Scotland would be best but don't know if the tracks are suitable? Sorry for the ignorance, any advice and info be great. 

summo 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Pb-climb-up:

Google or Facebook for details of Huntly and glenmore ski tracks. The local club makes them when conditions allow. 

Down south.. your best bet is speak to your nearest golf course and see if they'll let you ski around it. You'll get a better ride, smooth surface, no sticks, stones etc.. Just tell them you won't ski over the greens, it won't matter but they'll worry!

Make a shortish loop, not too ambitious, just a few km. Do your turns as wide and even as possible. Second lap once you've broken trail will be twice as fast, especially downhill so give yourself a bit of a run out before you create a turn below any steep sections. 

Doug 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Pb-climb-up:

Do they have steel edges? fish scales for grip? designed for skating or classic ?

If they have steel edges they are good for easy touring over undulating terrain & in the past were popular for ski touring in the Cairngorms. If no edges they are for easier terrain eg on forest tracks. In the past there were prepared tracks when conditions allowed  in the forests at Glenmore (Aviemore) & Clashindaroch (Donside) but no idea if thats still the case. Given good snow conditions edgeless XC skis can be good fun.

OwenM 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Doug:

The track cutting machine that the owner of the cafe in Glenmore had broke down and couldn't be fixed. That was last winter. There hasn't been enough snow yet this year but you'll have to break your own trail when there is. 

I generally manage at least a couple of days on skinny's each winter. Last year I had better xc around Glenmore than downhill up the road. I'm still hopeful for some xc in the next week or so, just hope it comes at the weekend.

Doug 16 Feb 2020
In reply to OwenM:

No doubt a sign of climate change but I remember that when I first started to visit Aviemore in the 70s there were 3 or 4 shops hiring XC skis including Highland Guides who also offered instruction. Typically the season would last a couple of months in the forests. Last time I was there it seemed that only the Glenmore café hired XC skis & even in the late 90s when I lived in the Strath, the season was typically a few days scattered across the winter & rarely more than 3 or 4 days before the low lying snow melted.

TobyA 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Pb-climb-up:

I used to XC ski a lot when I lived in Finland. If they are track skis I don't think they'll be much use at all in the UK beyond some days up in East Scotland, where they sometimes make tracks. Unless they have fish scale basis you will need wax. It's not super complicated but it's it's an extra little bit of hassle. If it does snow so where you are you'll probably find that snow covered roads are are the easiest place to try. Just hope you don't meet a nutter in a Chelsea tractor convinced that because they've got four wheel drive they've got some grip with summer tyres! 

Personally I reckon if you want to go cross-country skiing, which is great fun, go to an alpine resort or better still Lapland and do it there.

Doug 16 Feb 2020
In reply to TobyA:

As Summo suggested, golf courses are fun on track skis & the grass only needs a cm or two of snow. I regularly skied on the course at Boat of Garten (a few minutes from home at the time), often in the evening by headtorch, but maybe the golf courses in Surrey would be less understanding.

And if the snow is good it is possible to tour on track skis & I've done some long days in the Vosges & the Jura mostly off piste. Even in Scotland I've used them to ski up/down some of the glens such as Glen Einich from Rothiemurchus up to the loch & back. But often I would start wondering why I hadn't taken a pair of slightly heavier skis with steel edges if there was any ice

TobyA 16 Feb 2020
 OwenM 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Doug:

> No doubt a sign of climate change but 

I spent 4 years in Germany near to the Harz Mountains in the mid 80's. The xc season lasted from November to March. Freezing temperatures were almost guarantee. I've just googled it, there's no snow and it's +10c.

TobyA 16 Feb 2020
In reply to OwenM:

Southern Finland has been essentially snowless this winter. I spent I think 18 winters in Finland and although there were bad winters in terms of snow cover, nothing like they've had this year. Helsinki is about the same latitude as the Shetlands - imagine that little daylight and rain, wind and temperatures in the low single digits.

wbo2 16 Feb 2020
In reply to TobyA:I'd be a bit more positive to their use , even if they are track skis.  What exact ski are they?   I have Fisher E99s which are great out of tracks and those or 89s would be a really good UK ski.

Basically find a large flat grassy area and make yourself a loop.  Golf courses are perfect 

OP Pb-climb-up 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Pb-climb-up:

Thanks everyone some useful comments. They have fish scale bottoms, not metal edged. Can't remember the exact make/model, definitely looks like the graphics from 80's or 90's. 

Fingers crossed will get some snow down here (Surrey no shortage of golf courses!), but will look at Scotland for next year now for some proper conditions. Cheers again 

OwenM 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Pb-climb-up:

Your skis sound ideal there's no point in spending money on fancy kit. Bring them along if you're coming to Scotland. If conditions are good you'll have great fun and if there not good there's still plenty of walking to be done.

summo 16 Feb 2020
In reply to TobyA:

No better in sweden. Need to be as far north as Mora before you'll get on any meaningful snow. Plus 3 or 4 and sideways rain in most sweden today. 

Good year to be in the ski tunnel business or for buying kit sold off cheap. I've just made the switch from sns to prolink/rottefella shift. 

Roadrunner6 16 Feb 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah I'd just go to somewhere with good conditions.

I used to XC ski in central Germany, but like the UK that was hit and miss, also skied in some of the polish mountains.

I lived on a golf course in NH (USA) that would have reliable skiing from December to March. I'm now 2 hours south in MA and have a nordic course opposite the house but have barely skied at all this year. Not enough snow. They try to groom a lot but we just don't get the depth.

In the US snowmobiling is a massive 'sport', 10-20 passed me last night on a 2.5 mile walk and they groom the trails for them which make excellent opportunities to ski into some pretty cool areas. The legal speed limit is 45 mph for those things but other than the smell of petrol and sound the drivers are always pretty polite.

Also we can ski on lakes here but the UK just doesn't get cold enough with much regularity.

Post edited at 16:33
 Basemetal 16 Feb 2020
In reply to Pb-climb-up:

I live about an hour from Clashindarroch forest and most years get half a dozen days XC skiing there. I've also been round the Cairngorm -BenMacdui circuit in them.  I'm pathetic on even moderate downhill in them, but nobody's watching me. This year has been slim pickings, tho to be fair I've seen a few decent days cover but chose to climb instead.

Basemetal 03 Mar 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

This last week's been good XC at Clashindarroch

Got round the 10km loop with only two gaps of ≤5m in the whole route.

Despite being a bit warm yesterday mid-day, runs refroze in the afternoon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...