UKC

Abseiling locations in Yorkshire and the Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ahogg16 18 May 2013
Hi all
Can anyone help with some good abseiling locations, looking for a good mix, some longer ones, over 25 metres etc as well as shorter ones for some friends to gain confidence before a return to the isle of skye in september

Any help is appreciated
 threepeaks 18 May 2013
In reply to Ahogg16: One of the best places to abseil in The Lakes would be Hodge Close Quarry, there is also another popular abseil in Cathedral Quarry and a dedicated National Trust owned abseil area on the approach to the Bowderstone (you have to get permission from the NT before you can use this one).

In Yorkshire the ultimate abseil is off Malham Cove (but... there have been accidents and it's definitely not suitable for novices), there are other opportunities on the left Wing of the cove.

More locally to Leeds I often use Ilkley. This is very convenient for all sorts of climbing activities and good coffee at Tony's to boot!

Hope that helps,
Dave
Wild Spaces
 sheeny 18 May 2013
In reply to Ahogg16: Brimham rocks good for easier ones, Hodge close for longer one
 John Kelly 18 May 2013
In reply to wildspaces: where in hodge? - i thought there were issues!!

catherdral is a good call - a big, impressive rap and a short easy one
OP Ahogg16 18 May 2013
In reply to wildspaces: Dave, thanks for the info, Cathedral Quarry looks perfect, do you happen to know the height of the longer abseil ? I have 50 metre ropes would look at single rope and a safety rope will 50m be long enough ??
In reply to Ahogg16:

Almost anywhere with a steep drop makes a "good" abseiling location: it doesn't demand much besides steepness, unlike a good rock climb. Buildings, bridges and trees will do. Of course, there is nothing much to stop one abseiling off any rock climb, apart from consideration of other climbers: the main one being that far*ing around on ropes should be kept away from (ascending) climbers. Outside the UK, one raps off a high proportion of climbs... to the point that a favorite climbing T-shirt of mine has the Bob Marley caption: "I'm rapping - I hope you like rapping too"
 Mark Eddy 21 May 2013
In reply to Ahogg16: 50m ropes are long enough for the big abseil at Cathedral

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...