UKC

Active outdoor pursuits instructor course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jd222 30 Jul 2012
Hello,

I'm thinking of applying for the Active Outdoor Pursuits Instructors Course in Newtonmore and I was wondering if anyone has done it or knows anything about it? I would love some feed back before committing myself or some advice from people who know the area and centre. Thanks, Judy.
 StuLade 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Judyw22: I have no experience of instructor courses, or fast track style courses though know a few friends who've done similar. From what I understand if you want to become an instructor you'd do a lot better to take on a trainee position at a centre somewhere that is proactive enough to put you through a few quals whilst giving you some actual experience of working with groups. Plus you don't have to pay for this! And might receive some (albeit small) renumeration. I would think most centres would see someone with experience and quals more useful than just quals. The exception perhaps being getting a D1 which I think is definitely worth investing in if you want to try and get work in centres.
 jfmchivall 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Judyw22:

Are you doing the course in order to get a career in outdoor activities instruction? You'd be better off getting a trainee position at an outdoor centre as mentioned by the other poster.

Newtonmore's pretty much the perfect place to live* if you like mountains though. Halfway between Lochaber and the Cairngorms, right on the A9 - within an hour's drive you've got some of the best climbing, paddling and biking in the country, without the summer hordes that plague the Lakes or Snowdonia.

* in the UK at least.
Jd222 30 Jul 2012
In reply to jfmchivall:
Thanks for the advice. I'd like to find a trainee position but I'd presumed it would be hard to get without the qualifications first. I'll definitely look further into that.
 jfmchivall 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Judyw22:

Lack of qualifications isn't necessarily a barrier as the whole point of trainee jobs is to get qualified while on the job. It is very useful to have experience of working with groups though - volunteer with a local scout or DofE group, join a climbing or canoe club, or help out at a local school. Learning how to set up a top rope for a group is easy - what is harder to learn is how to reassure nervous participants and help them to feel positive about their experience, or how to adapt your coaching of a technique to an individual's needs.
JHayes 04 Aug 2012
In reply to Judyw22:
Sent you a message but I'm a trainee and loving it best thing I've ever done my advice is just get out and do stuff I volunteered at a centre before going for a trainee position to Mae sure it's what I wanted to do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...