UKC

Am I making good progress?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tashambateman 10 Sep 2017

Hey all, so I've just started climbing the last few weeks and I'm curious to know how well I'm doing. So I'm a 17 year old girl, pretty sporty in general but haven't climbed since I was about 10 when I went to a bouldering club for a bit. Decided to go back to it since I always liked it and have been climbing about V3/V4 stuff (and some lower stuff too) after about 4 1-2 hour sessions. Would you say this is alright progress? Should I be aiming for higher stuff by now?
Thanks in advance
Tasha

Also, forgot to add - anyone got good training advice or tips to get stronger/just get to higher grades in general??
Post edited at 23:13
 bouldery bits 10 Sep 2017
In reply to tashambateman:

I wouldn't panic too much about grades at first. Get loads of mileage in, focus on technique (quiet feet) and worry about strength later. Getting strong muscles quickly is quite easy, but tendons don't get strong as quickly and are liable to damage if over stressed early on.

More importantly, have fun!
 springfall2008 12 Sep 2017

>Decided to go back to it since I always liked it and have been climbing about V3/V4 stuff (and some lower stuff too) after about 4 1-2 hour sessions. Would you say this is alright progress? Should I be aiming for higher stuff by now?

That's pretty impressive, I've been climbing for around 4-5 years now and I struggle on V4
 brianjcooper 12 Sep 2017
Hi. Tasha.
The best advice I can give you is just climb for fun and enjoy it. At 17 you have plenty of time to improve, and
as others have mentioned over training will most likely lead to injury issues.
I'm assuming you are climbing indoors. Outdoors is amazing too. At 70, I'm still climbing indoors and outdoors and trying to improve. Don't rush it.

Have Fun.
Post edited at 12:44
 yoshi.h 12 Sep 2017

Impressive. Though don't stress if you don't progress to the next grade for another year, as the climbs will get progressively harder where you will need to develop specific fingers and muscular strength which can only happen over time. I've seen many new climbers progress to that grade very quickly due to inherent strength or ability to learn technique quickly yet struggle to progress any further for a long time afterwards for the aforementioned reasons. That said, I've seen some gifted climbers progress to V7 and beyond in their first year of climbing which is exceptional. Personally I was climbing V3/4's after a good year of climbing, V4/5 after the second, and milling around 6/7 now in my fourth year.
 GridNorth 12 Sep 2017

It's a mistake to think that "progress" is only measured by climbing harder grades. Other things to consider are improvements in route reading, good use of feet, style, making the most of protection opportunities, understanding grades, gaining experience etc. etc.

Al
 bouldery bits 12 Sep 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

Good point mate.
Tomtom 13 Sep 2017

Don't forget:
Early to peak - early to burn out

Which generally relates to youth sportsmen peaking too early in life, and they burn out early in life, after a shortened career. It does however, also stand at any age, in that if you progress too quickly, something will eventually give, and you'll find your success relatively short lived.
My point is, enjoy it, don't over think grades, and take your time learning how to climb properly but also in conditioning your body to the stresses of hard climbing.

Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...