UKC

Beginner's ice axe question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrantM 09 Feb 2014
I've bagged a few winter Munros & I'm thinking of doing some easy Grade 1 gullies and progressing from there. Already got an Air Tech Evo and was given a shot of 2 axes on the Cobbler during the week so I'm planning to get another axe.

Can I pair the Air Tech with something more technical like a DMM Fly or do you need 2 matched axes? Any other advice? Cheers.
In reply to GrantM:

You don't need two matching axes. It's some times preferable to have a technical axe and a walking axe for situations like when one comes across some hard neve or a banked out gully.
In reply to GrantM:

I've often wondered this. If you go with a mate couldn't you borrow theirs and then lower it down once you've set up an anchor?

Won't work for simulclimbing but saves weight.
 Graeme Hammond 09 Feb 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> If you go with a mate couldn't you borrow theirs and then lower it down once you've set up an anchor?

That would be a complete pain in the proverbial (e.g. if your route doesn't take a vertical line) and would waste time.

Jasonic 10 Feb 2014
In reply to GrantM:

Grade 1 is traditional with one axe- if you decide to get another, or part of a pair perhaps look at the allrounder designs like Fly's, Quarks, Vipers.
OP GrantM 10 Feb 2014
In reply to GrantM:

Thanks for the replies.
In reply to GrantM:

If you're want to progress up the grades get a hammer for your second axe.
 pec 10 Feb 2014
In reply to GrantM:

I did my first winter routes with a 70cm walking axe and 45 cm hammer, not ideal but on easy routes you can get away with anything spikey.
In reply to Chris Huntington:
> If you're want to progress up the grades get a hammer for your second axe.

I can count on one hand where I've used my hammer. I've lost count how many times I've used my adze!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...