UKC

Bristly Ridge and scrambling grades

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jackieboy95 07 Sep 2017
Hi, Newbie here so apologies for stupid question but what grade are scrambles in winter? If I go on UKC it says britly ridge is grade "II 2/3" Does the "II" mean it is a winter climb in winter or do the numbers just change to roman numerals for no good reason?
Cheers,
Jack
 afshapes 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Jackieboy95:

It's a standard grade II I would say ... completely different prospect to the summer version
 afshapes 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Jackieboy95:

The 2/3 is the tech grade similar to trad grading.
 Sean Kelly 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Jackieboy95:

Winter grades are much more variable, as it totally depends on snow conditions and weather. I did it once in a blizzard and very deep powder. Not an easy grade two romp!
Jackieboy95 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

So is it considered a climb or a scramble?
Jack
In reply to Jackieboy95:

Summer scramble, winter climb
Jackieboy95 07 Sep 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

At what point does a winter scramble become a winter climb? For example Crib Goch is a winter scramble and is grade 1. When does it stop being a scramble and become a climb?
In reply to Jackieboy95:
When it gets a winter climbing grade...

For a less facetious answer, you are incorrect about crib goch; it is graded I, a winter climbing grade. There is no separate grading for winter scrambles; most non-ice based winter climbs graded III or less are on ground that would be considered 'scrambling' territory in summer.

I suppose this reflects the greater seriousness of routes in winter to some extent- even grade I routes are likely to require the use of a range of mountain skills and judgement, with weather and short daylight hours a factor, making them a different proposition to many summer scrambles.

There's a bit of overlap for grade 3 scrambles in summer, as many of would also get a climbing grade of Moderate- curved ridge would be the classic example. But diff or above would rarely get a winter grade of less than IV I think- not that I climb at that grade so others may be able to correct me if I'm wrong...
Post edited at 21:38
 petegunn 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Jackieboy95:
On ukc the 1, 2 and 3 are the grades of the scrambles in summer.

I, II and III are the grades that a climb or scramble is in winter conditions

FRCC winter guide:
I - Straight forward snow gully around 45° or easy angled ridges.
II - Gullies with some steep snow or short ice pitch, more difficult ridges, usually summer scrambles.
III - More sustained than a II with significant ice pitches and some technical sections on buttresses.

Winter climbs usually above grade III also get a number I.e. III,4 to signify the technical difficulty, so similar to rock grades, this can show if its bold, safe etc.
Post edited at 22:43
 maxsmith 08 Sep 2017
In reply to Jackieboy95:

Scrambles done in winter can vary in difficulty massively depending on conditions. For example I've done Crib Goch (grade 1 summer) covered in a good few inches of powdery snow, but felt it only rated I as crampons were not needed. On another day it was completely plastered in ice with almost all holds covered. On that occasion progress would have been impossible without and axe and spikes, and it felt grade II. The same applies to Bristly Ridge.

Paul16 08 Sep 2017
In reply to Jackieboy95:

Just for a bit of clarity - the 2/3 means that 3 is the standard technical grade for a grade II winter climb, so technically Bristly Ridge is easier than the standard but it get's a grade II because it's more serious than a straight forward snow gully that's graded I.

Probably

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...