UKC

Can someone explain something for me please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Zagreb 05 Feb 2018

Hi 

Was hoping someone could explain something for me please 

Yesterday I went on a day climbing trip with falkirk outdoors.wWe climbed a snow gully on the cobbler 

I can't quite get my head round how the climbing system worked. 

The instructor went off first and attached himself to a rock. Then there was 3 others (including me) below him. We all climbed together keeping a few metres of rope between us. I'm sure the instructor said that if one of us fell we wouldn't all fall - how can that be if we were all on the same rope? What technique is this called?

Also, I loved the day I had out and I want to do more of it. The trouble is I don't know what I'm doing so I'd need to go with more experienced folk. How do you get into winter climbing? Is joining a club really the only option?

Thanks v much in advance! 

Dark-Cloud 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Zagreb:

As a general term it's called belaying, but there is lots of variations.

Did you not ask the instructor to explain the system ?

Zagreb 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yeah I did and he did - but I didn't get it and i didn't want to seem thick and ask again 

Zagreb 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Cheers rich that all makes perfect sense 

The bit I can't get is how if say in a team of 4, if I was 3rd and fell, how I wouldn't pull the 2nd person (the person above me) with me. I'm sure the instructor said that we were all on the same rope but climbing independently (or something like that).  

Thanks

Dark-Cloud 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Zagreb:

Were you all tied into the same rope or on separate ropes ?

steveb2006 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Zagreb:

If the 3rd one came off he'd pull the second and if he (or she) came off he'd the first one and he would in turn be held by the instructor / belayer anchored to the rope. Assuming there isnt much slack between people no one would fall very far.  Sounds like you were on quite easy ground - perhaps wouldnt be  good idea to climb harder routes like that (though 2 seconds on different ropes is often used).

Steve

Zagreb 05 Feb 2018
In reply to steveb2006:

Yeah we were all on the same rope.  Steve the way you are describing it sounds like how we were set up. Maybe I just picked up the instructor wrongly. He did say we were to try and not have any slack in the rope if possible.

Thanks 

In reply to Zagreb:

> Yeah I did and he did - but I didn't get it and i didn't want to seem thick and ask again

Next time, don't be shy; ask if you don't understand.

This is absolutely vital if safety is involved. If you don't understand how the safety system works, you aren't safe.

You're paying the instructor; get them to instruct so you understand. They will be used to explaining in different ways, so that people get it. They should also be happy that you have pointed out that you need something clarified.

Zagreb 05 Feb 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

Och I know but you know how it is when you don't get something, didn't want to keep asking! (well I'm like that anyway)

The instructors were really helpful I must say - and really nice blokes 

olddirtydoggy 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Zagreb:

There are some great instructional vids on Youtube from the Glenmore Lodge and the BMC is you are unclear after the end of your course. I'm guessing the skills course you're on is more basic winter skills rather that climbing?

In reply to Zagreb:

Here's an excellent short instructional video showing the recommended techniques for the multiple people on a rope scenario.

youtube.com/watch?v=GvVoO5cKiSk&

Not sure why my post attracted the dislikes; I thought it was merely good advice.

Hey ho.

ClimberEd 05 Feb 2018

> Not sure why my post attracted the dislikes; I thought it was merely good advice.

> Hey ho.

because it was inflamatory. It could have been more mellow whilst still giving the same information. 

In reply to ClimberEd:

Really?

It wasn't intended to be inflammatory. I'm very matter of fact.

climbwhenready 06 Feb 2018
In reply to Zagreb:

You may have been on isolation loops, this reduces the chance that a second falling off would pull off the others. 

Zagreb 06 Feb 2018

Paranoia your comment attracted likes not dislikes 

Zagreb 06 Feb 2018
In reply to Zagreb:

Dirty dog, it was what they  called a mountaineering day - basically taking us up a snow gully. The instructor said it was grade 1 with a wee bit of grade 2 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...