UKC

Climbing Carabinas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mav359 30 Jul 2022

Hi guys

Sorry to bother you but i would like some advice. I am not and have no intention of becoming a rock climber but

I am a dog owner and soon a Great Dane owner, these are very large (85kg )powerful dogs and Carabinas are a fantastic tool to have to hand for adapting leashes and other equipment. 

Until now i have used some off the shelf amazon type carabinas but with a bigger dog for peace of mind id need something much more robust.

I figure if you want to know where to buy the best rock climbing equipment ask a rock climber

I need two or three of these

Any suggesstions for a good locking carabina would be really appriciated

Post edited at 14:19
 tew 30 Jul 2022
In reply to Mav359:

The easiest place to get them would be here 

https://www.bananafingers.co.uk/category/locking-carabiners

I'd advise a locking one. It's possible with a non locking one to unclip a leash and then the fun begins of chasing the great Dane. Who'll be really excited to play chase the dog...

OP Mav359 30 Jul 2022
In reply to tew:

Appricated

In reply to Mav359:

Even a lightweight locking krab is rated at about 25kN. That will hold 2500kg in a static hang. Your 85kg dog won't be a problem, and is unlikely to load you more than hanging under gravity. Unless your dog plans to go climbing, and experience long falls...

If you want a locking (screwgate or twist lock) krab, pop into your nearest Cotswold store or similar, and have a look. But, frankly, anything you buy off Amazon that is a decent size is likely to be more than strong enough; your grip on the lead may well be the limiting factor.

Post edited at 14:38
 GrahamD 30 Jul 2022
In reply to Mav359:

You don't say where you live, but if you have a GO Outdoors or a Decathlon near you, you should be able to get some from there.

JoshOvki 30 Jul 2022
In reply to Mav359:

These are the smallest carabiner I've seen with a decent load rating, and use them with my dog. 4kN which is about 400kg, and nice and small

https://dmmwales.com/climbing-products/locking-carabiners/xsre-lock

timparkin 01 Aug 2022
In reply to JoshOvki:

The XSRE carabiners are lovely and will definitely be the best small carabiner out there

In reply to Mav359:

If you know any Climbers who have been around the block a bit,ask them. Most will have a box full of leaver biners and be happy to share them with you. Likewise old slings and lengths of rope for leads.

I would help but I cleared all that out prior to a house move.

bpmclimb 01 Aug 2022
In reply to Mav359:

> Until now i have used some off the shelf amazon type carabinas but with a bigger dog for peace of mind id need something much more robust.

Keep an eye on the For Sale forum on here - climbers regularly offer used but still very strong (and cheap) locking carabiners, often several as a job lot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...