UKC

Desk based exercise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
UniClimber 03 Dec 2017
I have nowhere I can put a hangboard, however I do have a desk. The desk is about hip height. Can I hang off the desk as I would hang off a doorframe or something, with my feet stretched out in front of me, just resting on the floor. Will this be of any help trainingwise as I am unable to go climbing often. I've been climbing for almost two years so don't fancy any of the "you need to wait until you're stronger, beginners don't need deadhangs" stuff. The only reason it's in this forum is because a) I don't want t make an account and b) I'm just starting out in training
 Tobes 03 Dec 2017
In reply to UniClimber:

I think Damian Green has (allegedly) some advice on ‘desk based’ exercises.
 bouldery bits 03 Dec 2017
In reply to UniClimber:

You'll get good at hanging under your desk. I don't know if this will have any transferable benefit to your Climbing.
 alx 03 Dec 2017
In reply to Tobes:

> I think Damian Green has (allegedly) some advice on ‘desk based’ exercises.

Get a grip man!
willy 03 Dec 2017
In reply to UniClimber:

Yes, it'll help, better for your shoulders to than hanging straight down. To make it harder put your feet on a chair, or even one foot, which is good for core too, or add weight. Body position is like steep/roof climbing.
willy 03 Dec 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> You'll get good at hanging under your desk. I don't know if this will have any transferable benefit to your Climbing.

It'll be similarly transferable as hanging off a finger board; so quite a lot
 bouldery bits 03 Dec 2017
In reply to willy:

Yes, I hear it's what Ondra does.

Alex Megos' training program is entirely office chair based and Shauna Coxsey is now sponsored by IKEA as she spends her time deadlifting waste paper baskets.
 d_b 03 Dec 2017
In reply to UniClimber:

Not convinced by the hanging idea but you should be able to do bench dips from a desk.
willy 03 Dec 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Seriously, it's just the same as hanging off a door frame but your bodies horizontal and there's a bit less wieght because you're feet are supported, but you can add weight, hang one armed etc.... It makes your fingers stronger, and that's good for pretty much everyone's climbing.
Lusk 03 Dec 2017
In reply to UniClimber:

Get yourself down your local timber merchant and buy several metres of 50x50mm, a sheet of ply, and build one of these ... https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=9924

£2000? more like £100
pasbury 03 Dec 2017
In reply to UniClimber:
Where there’s a desk there’s a door. They’re much better for hanging off.
Post edited at 22:11
 d_b 04 Dec 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> Where there’s a desk there’s a door.

A counterexample: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02738/MontyPythonCleese_2738935...
pasbury 04 Dec 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

And now for something completely different....
 trouserburp 04 Dec 2017
In reply to pasbury:

Not if it's a flimsy NHS office doorframe!
 Wingnut 04 Dec 2017
In reply to trouserburp:

If the loo cubicles have a bar across the top of the door, it often makes quite a good pull-up bar. And the slight bend in some of said bars in a certain office block is nothing to do with me, honest.
 Fakey Rocks 07 Dec 2017
In reply to UniClimber:
You'd be better off just using it for front levering, so long as there's enough leg room, you might need to kick the desk back off, and pull your desk away from the wall a bit.
Alternatively, cut a big square or oblong hole in the carpet under the chair, keep the cut out, turn off the mains water supply, get yourself down HSS, Speedy, or A-Plant, rent a pneumatic drill, do a test hole first where your chair is, to check which floor you are on, if it's the ground floor, ideal, carry on, knock out a trench big enough to stand up in and just reach the desk top, line your trench with planks, use hard as nails to make them stick, get some thin strips to put on these as foot rungs maybe to assist hangs, use hard as nails again to stick them on too. Make a trapdoor lid for the hole, perhaps hinged, stick the carpet back on, use a staple gun.
Find a way to mount your fingerboard on the desk edge, so that you can easily remove it again when yr lunch break is over, and put it back in the desk drawer.
If you found out your not on the ground floor, tidy the hole up, make it like a trap door or attic, refit any lighting you knocked off back on to the ceiling below next to the hole, tidy the mess off the desk below that it all landed on, brushing any dust out of peoples hair too, explain to them that you'll just be dipping your legs down through the ceiling a few times a wk, buy them a massive Toblerone or tin of quality street.
Oh, if hanging into the room below, use a heavy duty theraband to help you get back up, or rope with knots, or see if they'll let you leave a step ladder in place under the hole.
Post edited at 11:15
 Fakey Rocks 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

Just had one of those light bulb moments ....
Hopefully u haven't started drilling yet...

Put the desk on hydraulic / pneumatic legs?
You could have space to use Eva Lopez transgression board too now , + less mess to sweep up.
 Pete Dangerous 12 Dec 2017
In reply to UniClimber:
I do my antagonistic exercises at work. It's boring but getting paid to do it makes it seem better. Theraband exercises, push ups with cheap bars, elastic bands on fingers, stress balls for grip strengthening etc. Gym for getting strong, work for staying in balance.
Post edited at 23:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...