UKC

Disabled Advice Please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Big jack o 15 Oct 2017
Hi guys I hope you don't mind me posting here as it is not strictly climbing releated!!!

I'm currently disabled due to an accident several years ago which has left me with very little strength in my legs. I recently purchased an off road mobility scooter which allows me to get outdoors again. Because of my disability I find it very difficult to produce my own body heat through movement etc, I was wondering could you please give me some advice on clothing/layering products which will allow me to continue to enjoy the outdoors even during winter. I currently wear a baselayer and a Rab infinity jacket, however I still feel cold I was wondering as I'm having difficulty building my own body heat should I be looking at cotton material or would this be the wrong material? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 deepsoup 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Big jack o:
I'm sure there was a thread on this very subject not so long ago, with some sage advice in it. Can't seem to find it now, but somebody might know where it is and post a link.

I don't have much to offer by way of advice myself, but I'm sure cotton isn't the way to go. Mainly because it performs so badly if it gets wet, or even just a bit damp.
 jayjackson 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Big jack o:

One thing I look at very carefully when managing groups outdoors and when working with clients with reduced mobilty, is the reduction in body heat generated.

Clothing and layers are usually only insulators, not actually heaters. If you get into them cold, or your temperature lowers despite them, then no amount of layers (regardless of what they are made of) will warm you up again.

Have you considered heat packs? You can get reusable ones that need gentle handling but are pretty good. I vaguely remember a North Face jacket that had battery powered heat pads in it, but I guess it was rubbish or ridiculously expensive since I haven't seen any other examples of this since!

Another consideration could be how much heat you are losing though your legs. If you aren't using them (walking) and your heart rate is low as you are sitting on the scooter then you could be losing a lot of heat through the tops of your thighs - maybe consider extra warm trousers or thermal leggings?

Finally, I agree with deepsoup - Cotton is pretty poor as an insulator if it gets at all damp. Merino Wool baselayer products are good, though pricey.

Hope you find a good solution.

J

Wayne S 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Big jack o:

Hi, Down is by far the best insulator, though you do need to ensure you are wind proof also. If you are already wearing a down jacket then you are probabaly loosing heat elsewhere. You could get down trousers to match the jacket tough equally I guess you may also have other options such as a down blanket or a half sleeping bag. Somewhere like Alpkit would have either option.

A merino base layer is also a good idea. Lots of thin layers is usually better.

To be honest you might do better mirroring what motorcyclists do to keep warm over walkers/climbers as they by nature are forced to sit still in high winds. One thing I did do on very long winter motorcycle trips was to tense and release muscles as I sat. Don't forget hat and gloves! Also you can get electricity heated clothing, though I can't say I know much about these.

Hope that helped in some way.

Ffat Boi 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Big jack o:

have a look on the Decathlon website in the Hunting and fishing section for some good trousers.

a lot of hunting and fishing clothing is aimed at sitting still for hours.

good thick woollen socks and gloves are usefull too

In reply to Big jack o:

Battery powered (rechargeable) heated motorcycling clothing would be my choice.Toasty!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...