UKC

Hi I’m new. Where do I start to learn please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
Hello,

I’m hoping that 2018 I can start to learn to climb after wanting to for 4 years now. But with raising a young family and getting my college diploma I haven’t as yet made a start. I’m 36 and worry I’m to old to start? Although I’d still try out for it as I’m pretty determined and still feel young in myself. I tried to book a beginner session at an indoor wall in Inverness but they are booked up until summer time and I don’t know of any other walls indoor or outdoor places I can learn. I literally know nothing. I don’t even know if I have the fitness level. All I know is I have a deep feeling that I really want to learn and I know that if I’m up there I will get a good feeling in myself. It’s a fascination of mine, I just have no idea where or how to start out. So I thought if I joined this forum that’s at least a step in the right direction.

Thank you
 Mick B 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

Hi, It's a bit of travel for you but I did a beginners course at Plas y Brenin a few years ago and have never looked back.
I'd highly recommend them.

Also posting on the lifts and partners forum on here is a good way to meet fellow climbers.

Good luck.
 RyanS 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:
Hiya,

You are not even remotely too old! Lots of people start climbing much later.

In terms of where to start, you have a few options... An introduction course at a climbing wall is a good idea, this will teach you the basics of climbing movement, ropework, belaying and equipment and allow you to use a climbing wall independently. Most climbing walls also have "social nights" where you can meet other beginners and get some climbing partners.

Joining a club is also a really good option, if you are based in Scotland you will likely find these on: https://www.mountaineering.scot/clubs

Clubs are usually full of very keen, experienced climbers who will guide and mentor you through your early days of climbing. Just make sure whoever you are learning off has lots of experience and really knows their stuff.

Finally, you could take a course. This will teach you the "best practice" way of doing everything and will give you some professional input into your climbing and skills. A good instructor will give you an action plan after your course and will be contactable afterwards with any questions you develop, or further training you may need. There are lots of providers of these on here (including me!). In any event, you should look for an instructor who holds the Mountain Instructor Award (MIA). You can be assured of the best quality instruction if they are a member of AMI (Association of Mountaineering Instructors) and you find one local to you here: https://mt.tahdah.me/public/validation/2

In terms of fitness, please do not worry about this. You do not have to be as fit as you would imagine, and climbing is a great way to GET fit. Do not pay too much attention to the stereotypical muscle bound climber you see in the movies!

Whichever route you choose, Enjoy! Climbing is AMAZING. It will allow you a brilliant lifestyle and will enable you see places in the UK and abroad you would never have believed really existed. Welcome!

Ryan
Post edited at 14:21
 Greasy Prusiks 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:
You almost certainly do have the required fitness. If you're happy to have a go at climbing a ladder then you'll be able to get started at a wall.

A course at an indoor wall is a great way to start roped climbing, if it's a long wait to get on one them bouldering is another option. Most walls have a bouldering section that can be used without much/any training.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it!

Edit: you're no where near too old, I know people still climbing in their 80s.
Post edited at 14:19
 French Erick 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

How young are your kids? Would there be someone who could help out were you to take them with you? All you need is meet up with a climber already registered at the leisure centre and got signed in as a guest. I could volunteer giving utter lack of winter conditions...but winter is my big favourite time of year and thus busiest. My kids are almost 7 and 3.5. Bouldering is the only viable way to enjoy climbing if accompanied by youngsters (although, I take a harness to let them swing on ropes if I go early enough at the weekend)
If you haven't managed a start before Easter, contact me and we can arrange something.
Climbing indoors is not that complicated. Once you know some safety rules is very safe.
 jezb1 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

I’m biased, but go on a course with a qualified Instructor (like myself!) and you won’t look back!

rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Mick B:

Hi Mick B

Thank you, I will look into the course and also have a look at the forum you recommended
 Flinticus 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

I started at 40.

I began by bouldering which is a good way to learn moves and build strength as well as getting to talk to others at the wall. You should then find that some of them do rope climbing (top roping or lead) and they should be willing to show you the basics while doing routes together.

Good luck and it sounds like you already have the most important element sorted: the will.
 Sean Kelly 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

I'm 70 and still climbing so 36 is your prime. Go on the BMC site and find out your nearest club as this is the quickest way to not only start climbing, but also find a group of friends that will last for years. Most clubs often have a regular meet at an indoor wall during the winter months so as to get or retain fitness. Courses are good for brushing up on your technique. You have Glenmore Lodge in the Cairngorms, probably one of the best providers in the UK.
Best of luck for 2018.
rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to RyanS:

Hi RyanS,

Thank you for the reply, well that's a relief I'm not too old. I won't feel so sheepish now to get out there. The begginer course at my local fitness centre is booked up until summer but I can still book it for then. In the mean time I will look at your link for clubs in my area and see where that takes me. I'l also look at the link for courses you have given me too. Hopefully I can find someone on there offering a course before summer so I can start sooner rather than later. That's also good to know not to worry about fitness. I've never been a gym bunny as I much prefer outdoors. It would be good to see however if I get fit through climbing and yes I know what you mean about climbers in movies. I watched Vally Uprising the other day and there was a woman on there and I just saw her and thought.. really I could never make myself that toned. And I thought how can I do this if I don't have muscles. But you never know. I can imagine what you say about climbing being amazing because in my head when I imagine it I just imagine it to be the best feeling and then get annoyed at myself because I'm not doing it yet. I definatly have to do it this year. Thank you for your reply I'm going to look for an instructor course on your link hopefully there will be one in my area. I'm really excited now with all this help and advice I can see a dream become a reality very soon.

Best wishes.
 rgold 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

I'm across the pond, so some of what I say may not be fully relevant to the UK experience. At 74, I'm still actively climbing, but I started young 60 years ago at 14. At 36 you can still climb for many years, and your body will adapt to the task---that's what bodies do---so that isn't a concern at all.

Climbing gyms are a wonderful development and have made everyone far stronger. But indoor plastic is a very imperfect imitation of climbing, and I would strongly recommend getting an outdoor start, not simply because real rock is an incomparable medium, but also because the full spectrum of climbing experience encompasses far more than how to pull on holds, and you'll miss out on all that richness in a gym. Plus I think the "deep feeling" you refer to, which I am sure is authentic, has not been stirred by some genetic mutation that mysteriously draws you to overhanging plastic. Without allowing too much purple prose to intervene, you are feeling "the call of the hills," something as old and human as the race itself.

When I was starting out, that pretty much meant getting a rope and some gear and some books and a friend and figuring it all out by yourself, but nowadays there is highly competent and experienced professional instruction, and this is by far the most sensible route to take as an interested novice. Amortize the cost over, say, the resulting 30 years of climbing pleasure you get and it isn't even remotely expensive. Moreover, you get someone who knows climbing and knows the hills. At least in the US, the person teaching those beginner gym classes is likely to be be a teenager with little or even no outdoor experience who is following a script supplied by the employer and hasn't devoted any time and effort to thinking about what good teaching might entail and what sort of progression you should be exposed to.

All that said, gyms have become one of the social hubs of the climbing community, and joining a gym is probably essential if you want to meet other climbers. And yes, you will progress in terms of certain climbing skills and strengths much more rapidly in a gym than you could possibly manage outdoors. So I'd say sign up for the beginner gym class, but while you are waiting talk to some professional guides about what types of things might be possible for you this time of year. Obviously, for pure rock climbing, a summer start would be better, but some winter scrambling might still be possible---here I totally defer to local knowledge, as I am far away in completely ignorant of UK conditions.
rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Hello thank you for your response. Yes I'm sure I'm fit enough then I'm sure I can manage a ladder oh right I didn't realise Bouldering walls were different to use I mean they were more available. I'l look I to that at my local centre. Thank you im looking forward to it. Oh good to know so even if I start now I could still have many years to enjoy it that's a boost.

Cheers
rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to French Erick:

Hello French Eric.

My kids are 9 and 5. Yes I could have someone care for them or take them swimming or something. But if I had a bit of experience I'd like to take them with me and get them interested in climbing at some point too. Oh right I see so once I have had some instructions I can go in with another climber as their guest. I guess I need to figure all this out. Ok great If I don't manage to get started I can message you so I assume your in my area? That would be great thank you I really can't wait to start. I think I need to get experience and fitness from practicing on an indoor wall but I really want the feeling of being out in nature that will be amazing when I manage that.

Thanks very much for your help
 Trangia 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

If you live in or near Inverness, then Glenmore Lodge is certainly a good place to consider as they are not far from you in the Cairngorms.

Have a browse through their website:-

https://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/

Doing a residential climbing course is an excellent way of getting into the sport and learning the ropes (literally!)

And as for being too old? Definitely not, you are in the prime of life, an ideal time to start.

Good luck and enjoy! It's like a drug - once you are into it it's so great that you will want to go on doing it as much as you can!

Also, in spite of some of the bitching you may see on this forum, climbers are generally a friendly and helpful bunch

rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks that sounds like perfect advice. I had no idea there was so many instructors until I came on here I just had no idea of my options.

Thanks
 Wayne S 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

Hi, It’s unusuall that a climbing wall has no intro into climbing until the summer, sounds a bit like they were referring to an outdoor course?

Given the time of year I would look at a beginners course at a climbing wall. Learn to tie in to a harness, how to move between holds and how to belay etc.etc.

I didn’t start until my thirty’s so you will be fine. We don’t do climbing at school like many European countries, so the hardest part of climbing in the UK is pretty much starting.

Many of the other suggestions about clubs and UKC lifts and partners are all fine, but realistically climbing on real rock for the next couple of months would be hit and miss. Get yourself to an indoor wall and then migrate out in the spring.

Wayne
rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks

I must look into the bouldering. Aw did you start at 40 that's good to know! Yes i think i need someone to show me.
rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

Hi Wayne S

Yes they were referring to their indoor wall and their introduction for beginners course it's a 2 and a half hour course and they said they were booked up but I may phone back to see if they have other options too if you think that sounds strange. Thanks that's all really good advice

Cheers
 GrahamUney 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

Hi. You're certainly not too old to start climbing! I too am biased, but I would recommend booking a course with a qualified, independent climbing instructor, like me! Let me know if I can help.

Graham
rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Thank you for your response.

I think with all the advice I'm suprised there are so many options and delighted. I really can't wait to start now. Everyone so far has been real helpful. A residential climbing course.... again I had no idea there was so many ways to get into it. I feel more hopeful now that I can actually do this. I'l look at the link and have a browse. I think I have been given so many options now I'l struggle to choose which is best but I'm sure I will eventually narrow it down to what is the best way forward to take.

Thanks
rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to GrahamUney:

Thanks Graham

I think I'l have to use an independent instructor as a way forward seeing as I can't get on the course in the local centre until summer. Is it one to one with an instructor or a group? What would the usual protocol be as in sessions for a beginner? Is there a certain number of sessions is it outdoors or on an indoor wall. Also what on earth would I need clothes wise?? Sorry a lot of questions. I'm super excited now after reading all the advice given from everyone

Thanks.
rabbitlady9 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rgold:
Hi rgold,

Oh that’s great to hear and pretty much what others have said regards to age. I hope my body does adapt that would be great. So you are in America? You have some amazing places over there to climb. Yes you describe it so well, that’s exactly how it is for me, I was going to use the word ‘calling’ in my post actually. But yes it’s a feeling in me to feel the rock and be for want of a better term ‘at one with the rock’. I meditate and love nature and that I know when I can finally get myself on a rock somewhere will feel authentic for me and therapeutic for me. I’m a counsellor so very self aware and in tune with my own inner drives and motivations and I just know in my soul I need to do this for me.

Yes your right, I will sign up for the course and I think once I’m underway and know a thing or to I could take my kids to the gym wall with me when I know what the craic is but in the mean time I think il look for an instructor. I’m not sure either weather wise if there will be much opportunity in Scotland especially the north where I am but il certainly find out. I’d like my first experience to be outdoor if I can, but I’ll take whatever is on offer to get started.

Thanks for such an interesting post

tehmarks 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

'We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.'

bouldery bits 24 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

You'll be back soon asking for advice on the best shoes. This is a great place to get advice and help - believe me I've been on here a long time and learned a lot! No such thing as a silly question (although, oddly, we're not always quite so welcoming here...).

Hope you enjoy it as much as you think you will.

BB
 Darron 25 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:
Go for it! Enjoy!!
Post edited at 03:59
 Sophie G. 25 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

Age is irrelevant, fitness isn't. I have a good friend who never climbed at all till she was about 48, but she runs and hillwalks and cycles, so she was in a good place to take it up. I myself didn't really start climbing till I was about your age.

Wanting it matters too, and you sound like you're keen!
 marsbar 25 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:
You are nowhere near too old.

Clothing wise, indoors legs something loose or stretchy enough to be able to lift you knee to your chest, so leggings, yoga bottoms or tracksuit bottoms are fine. On your top half anything that doesn’t restrict your arms, so any old t shirt or vest top will be fine and maybe a warmer top if your wall is cold. Useful to have a warm top to put on when you finish anyway.

On your feet trainers are ok to start if they are not the really chunky ones. Converse type things are ok too. Or you can hire shoes. I wouldn’t buy shoes immediately unless you can find a cheap pair. Ignore people who tell you that shoes should be so tight that it’s really painful.

Avoid flappy loose fabric around the wrists and ankles as it can get caught on a hold and rip. Don’t wear jewellery, rings in particular can cause a nasty injury. Tie long hair back as if it gets caught it will be unpleasant.

Have fun, and it will help you get strong.

I’d personally avoid taking your kids with you initially so you can concentrate on yourself. It’s hard to climb when you are worried about what the kids are up to.
Post edited at 12:55
 marsbar 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Sophie G.:

Hello Sophie, how’s life? Not seen you for ages. Happy Christmas.
 Sophie G. 25 Dec 2017
In reply to marsbar:

Not on much these days--I tend to hang out on Facebook mostly. Happy Chrimble back at you!
 Mark Kemball 25 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

Lots of good advice above. A couple of other ideas - quite often on here, you'll find trainee instructors asking for folks to come out for a day or two's instruction. Also, for background reading, Libby Peters' book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Climbing-Essential-Techniques-Mountain/dp/095... is all you really need, although it will probably make more sense once you've done a little climbing.
 8A machine elf 25 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

Are you in Glasgow ?
rabbitlady9 25 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Well I like Lego a lot so I guess I'm not old at all then
rabbitlady9 25 Dec 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

So what shoes are best to use.....

Gosh your not always so welcoming on the forum.. I must have got you all on a good day

If people aren't friendly on forums it doesn't bother me I just keep looking till I find what I want.. if I make some friends lovely if not I'm in it for myself anyway.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.
rabbitlady9 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Darron:

Thank you
Deadeye 25 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

How long are your ears though?
rabbitlady9 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Sophie G.:

Thank you. My fitness isn't hopeless so I'l try it out see how I get on.
rabbitlady9 25 Dec 2017
In reply to marsbar:

Thank you so much that is all really great advice. Yes I agree I think I want thinking more after a couple years i might take them along. But on second thought that's so far in the distance and not an option to take them before that time.
rabbitlady9 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Thank yo... I'l look at the book you recommended
rabbitlady9 25 Dec 2017
In reply to 8A machine elf:

Nope farther north past inverness.
rabbitlady9 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Pretty long they might get in the way!
Deadeye 25 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

Nah - they're an asset. Shake your head and dust off the holds as you go.

Surprised nobody has told you to relocate to Sheffield because there is "no proper climbing in Scotland".
Deadeye 25 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

Slightly more helpfully, there's an-actually-quite-decent climbing wall in inverness IIRC. Only been once but I expect they do courses and stuff...
 GrahamUney 26 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

Hi. No problem re the questions! All instructors run their own programme of courses, so no two will be exactly the same. My own courses vary from a one-to-one beginners day, through to guided ascents of classic rock climbs, as well as more advanced courses for those who want to move onto outdoor rock from the indoor wall, learning to lead courses, and self-rescue courses for climbers. They are all on my website here: www.grahamuneymountaineering.co.uk. Have a look there, and let me know via email if I can put together a course for you, or if you just need more information.
 Scott K 27 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

There are also walls at Aberlour and Elgin which run the intro courses. Might be too far for you though.
 jasonC abroad 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

I was going to say the opposite, how living in Inverness gives you access to some great climbing, both winter and summer, though I've only experience the winter in Scotland.
Removed User 27 Dec 2017
In reply to jasonC abroad:

> I was going to say the opposite, how living in Inverness gives you access to some great climbing, both winter and summer, though I've only experience the winter in Scotland.

Agreed, Inverness and especially north of Inverness/Caithness has some fantastic climbing. Not too far from the NW (Torridon, Maree, Gairloch, Reiff etc) for the weekends.
 DerwentDiluted 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

> Not too far from the NW (Torridon, Maree, Gairloch, Reiff etc) for the weekends.

Some of the best in the UK if you ask me, which, I appreciate, nobody did.
Bergfhurer 29 Dec 2017
In reply to rabbitlady9:

No- one has mentioned the LSCC . They are the Ladies Scottish Climbing Club; well worth seeking out their membership Secretary who could get you out with some of their members. You could even join them and increase yr social circle.
Deadeye 29 Dec 2017
In reply to Bergfhurer:

I think jessica was a troll...
 Trangia 29 Dec 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> I think jessica was a troll...

If so, it was rather an elaborate and pointless troll. Anyway she answered most people who unanswered her.

The first rule of trolling is that apart from your first post you no longer contribute to the thread.

No, she's genuine.

stp 02 Jan 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Maybe not a troll then but could be someone playing a prank. I don't think the profile pic fits the description given.
 marsbar 02 Jan 2018
In reply to stp:

She looks about the right age to me. Not all female climbers are unglamorous you know. Even I scrub up ok.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...