UKC

Hi/climbing club north london

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
blablablacksheep 22 Sep 2012
Hello allll.

So I have done a bit of climbing but that was many years ago and looking to get back into it, so thinking of joining a club so I can get training and become a better climber/socialize.

I'm in north London, Broxbourne area, anyone know any clubs that are near?
I know there is herts climbing club in Harlow but that's it.

Any help be great thanks
 Indy 23 Sep 2012
In reply to blablablacksheep:
The Castle? Manor House. Its my local and have to say its pretty good on all fronts apart from when its busy when its miserable. Broxbourne, isn't that the Waltham Cross sort of area?
 Tom Last 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to blablablacksheep)
> Broxbourne, isn't that the Waltham Cross sort of area?

Yes, north of WX.

To the OP.

I lived in Cheshunt & Ware until a couple of years ago. Your quickest wall by far is Harlow wall and it's pretty cheap and friendly. Good little wall.

The Castle can be done in about 45 minutes on a good run, on a bad run - could take any length of time. It was horrendously expensive 2 years back, don't suppose it's much cheaper now. Great wall though and easy to meet people.

London Mountaineering Club used to meet at the Castle once a week. I was in them for a little while, friendly club, mostly lower grade climbers.
NLMC climb at Mile End I think. They tend to be mostly more experienced climbers I think.

I seem to remember there is a Hertfordshire MC too, who from memory used to meet in Loughton for a while (maybe they should change their name?) although I could be wrong about that.

HTH.
 Indy 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Indy)
It was horrendously expensive 2 years back, don't suppose it's much cheaper now. Great wall though and easy to meet people.

Can't really argue with that. Used to pay monthly but it now costs £65 which I think is a bit excessive. There is a monthly direct debit for £45/month. Personally I find it best to pay every 6 months which works out as about £41/month which still isn't cheap but once you factor it all in then its not too bad.

I also try and get around to other walls like the Westway and Mile End for a bit of variety and PAYG on them.
blablablacksheep 23 Sep 2012
Thanks for the info.

I heard about castle but its still quite a distance to travel for a regular climb.

Same goes for Mile end its quite a trip for a climb, and trying to keep the costs down if possible as already spend quite a lot on my road biking hobby :/

Will try the Harlow center then, as no other clubs/Walls seem to be that near bar the Hertfordshire leisure centre but they are silly expensive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...