UKC

How is climbing outdoor in winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Carmengr21 29 Nov 2012
Hello!

My name is Carmen Griborio, I am an architecture student in Cardiff University. I am designing this project about constructing a climbing wall in Cardiff near the bay, What do you think about climbing outdoors? I climb myself but I am from Venezuela, I have never done it in a climate like this! It is cold, the wind makes it more cold, and it also rains! but you are used to that..

Do you think that people would use it in winter with no problem? would they have to use gloves for this? I am used to climb with bare hands and apply powder on them.

Do you think that the biggest problem is the rain?

I just want your opinion!

Cheese Monkey 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Carmengr21: Rain and cold. If I was to go to an artificial wall I would go indoors over outdoors every time in winter.
 kwoods 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Carmengr21: Well Britain is covered in indoor walls becuase the weather is so pish. Winter can have it's upsides - a dry crag with cool rock and a breeze makes really good friction; but that's splitting hairs now. And you don't really need chalk.
 buzby 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Carmengr21: cant imagine it would be a hit with anyone, all the disadvantages of climbing outdoors in the winter and none of the advantages.
if i was on a wall id want to be warm and dry i suspect thats why most if not all climbing walls are indoors.also how would you light it when it gets dark at dinner time in the winter.
 Sharp 29 Nov 2012
In reply to buzby:
>...also how would you light it when it gets dark at dinner time in the winter.

Lights presumably, but I'm with you that it would be better indoors.
Carmengr21 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Yes I know what you mean! but, do you think you would do it in 'summer' when you have like 15°C?
In reply to Carmengr21: Yeh in the summer I would probably go. But then if the weather was good and it was light I'd be climbing on real rock
Carmengr21 29 Nov 2012
In reply to kwoods:

Yes, I understand! Thank you for replying, I need opinions in order to know what solution is to give to this problem, that is my task in this project
Carmengr21 29 Nov 2012

Oh yes yes, let's say it would be only for beginners
Carmengr21 29 Nov 2012
In reply to buzby:

So if it is bright, and you are somehow protected from the rain (like a transparent roof or something, would you climb?
Carmengr21 29 Nov 2012

If it is bright, and you are somehow protected from the rain, would you climb even with wind? (lets say that real rocks are not available haha)
 Billhook 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:
Many climbers climb in winter when it's dry enough to be relatively safe, and, the weather is warm enough you don't freeze your fingers off!.
I've never heard or seen anyone climb with gloves but it should be possible with fingerless gloves.

Otherwise we wait until the weather improves in spring.
In reply to Dave Perry: My girlfriend frequently climbs with gloves up to HS!
Carmengr21 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Dave Perry:

Oh ok! so the problem would be the rain more than the cold weather. If there is no rain but it is cold and windy you would still do it and with fingerless gloves!

The Lemming 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:
> (In reply to Dave Perry)
>
> Oh ok! so the problem would be the rain more than the cold weather. If there is no rain but it is cold and windy you would still do it and with fingerless gloves!

Most definitely, and only wearing a tee-shirt. Shorts are optional.

Cold = friction.
In reply to Carmengr21:

There's one in Vienna where they have bolt on holds up the side of an old anti-aircraft gun tower.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watz/166373236/

I guess people would go somewhere like that rather than an indoor wall if it was interesting, in the middle of town and free.
Carmengr21 30 Nov 2012
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

haha thank you for the example!
 jkarran 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:

> Yes I know what you mean! but, do you think you would do it in 'summer' when you have like 15°C?

No. In the summer I climb outside while there's light and the crags are dry.

Blackpool has outdoor artificial climbing towers. Might be worth a look. I believe they close for winter but I could be wrong.
jk
 JimboWizbo 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:

I worked on a fairground on the beach for a few years, the most popular ride by far was the bungee/trampoline, you put the kid into a harness, attach them to some bungee cord and let them bounce, an artificial climbing wall has similar appeal.

I don't think you'd get much interest from climbers who are looking for somewhere to spend the day climbing, but you'd get interest from families, or just people having a day out, or teenagers who want to show off to their mates/girlfriends. Make the routes easy and colourful, maybe stick an auto belay at the top and in Summer you'd get lots of interest.

A big challenge is how to make it safe, you have to assume that the customers are going to misbehave and break the rules.

Doug 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Carmengr21: sure there have been outdoor climbing walls in the past in the UK (Cambridge ?). They have never been popular for the reasons given above - most use walls for training, especially when the crags (which are free) are too wet, too cold or its dark
In reply to Carmengr21:

Hah - I remember a climbing trip once to Stanage in winter with a Venezuelan. We had a good day - doing Nectar, I think - but he didn't like it. I don't think he got out of his duvet, and on the way back to the car he confided that he 'felt like one of zose people who lie down and die in ze mountains'.

Although mind you he did come with a rather gorgeous Venezuelan girl who impressed us all greatly by heartily kissing Jerry M when she observed him at the Plantation.

jcm
Carmengr21 30 Nov 2012
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Yes! thank you so much for your opinion!
 alooker 30 Nov 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: I knew my Jerry M mask would come in handy one day
 TonyB 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:

One thing that might appeal to climbers is if you built a drytooling wall. I think people wouldn't mind the cold weather. They have bolted on holds on the underside of the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki and dry tooling is allowed there.

There is a picture at the bottom of this page.

http://ossieskola.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/it-came-from-outer-space/
 tlm 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:

Butlins have outdoor climbing walls, but as has already been said, they don't get used by climbers, but by kids on holidays:

http://www.butlins.com/Images/46-101915_br-climbing-wall.jpg

I've also seen mobile outdoor walls used at fetes etc, but this tends to be in the summer:

http://www.mobilerockwall.co.uk/images/mobile-climbing-wall-hire.jpg

I think you would be looking at summer only and none climbers and you will not get rich.
 TonyB 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:

One thing that might appeal to climbers is if you built a drytooling wall. I think people wouldn't mind the cold weather. They have bolted on holds on the underside of the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki and dry tooling is allowed there.

There is a picture at the bottom of this page.

http://ossieskola.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/it-came-from-outer-space/
Carmengr21 02 Dec 2012
In reply to tlm:

haha you are right!

thank you!
Carmengr21 02 Dec 2012
In reply to TonyB:

It sounds appealing! but my work with this is to manage to solve the problem!
In reply to Carmengr21:
These seem quite successful in Sheffield http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjjtlee/sets/72157620452447861/
Carmengr21 03 Dec 2012
Do you think that in summer you would feel hot??

I know that you would still need some shelter from the rain but would you like some shade?

would you like wind?

pasbury 03 Dec 2012
In reply to belay bunny turned bad:

I agree, outdoor artificial boulders are the way to go.
 Jonny2vests 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:

There are quite a few outdoor artificial (roped) walls around; Westway, Neuss in Germany, Canazei. I've always struggled with the concept, I doubt they get much traffic in Winter to be honest. Outdoor boulders are different, they would get used, but if the boulder is dry, then there's a good chance some real rock is too, and I would choose that. Sheffield has at least 7 artificial boulders, but I would head to the Peak District every time during dry spells.
 martinph78 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:
> (In reply to Cheese Monkey)
>
> If it is bright, and you are somehow protected from the rain, would you climb even with wind? (lets say that real rocks are not available haha)

Like an indoor wall with my mate belaying (for the wind) you mean?

Boulders@Cardiff 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:

Hi Carmen,

Did you know that the Channel View sports centre in Grangetown near Cardiff Bay has an outdoor boulder similar to the ones in Sheffield mentioned earlier?

It might be worth you having a look at for inspiration. There's pictures here http://www.cbwac.com/content/team/climbing.htm

nniff 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Carmengr21:

The Westway in London still has some of its outdoor walls left:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uDWgzgCwj2Y/Tu32k7W95EI/AAAAAAAAChE/_JDmsfijRwU/s...

Mostly they're deserted in favour of the indoor stuff

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=westway+climbing+wall+images&hl=en&am...
 Gotte 12 Dec 2012
I remember seeing that tower in Vienna years ago. It looked impressive, though I wasn't a climber then. Personally, I wish we bad something like that, though the amount it rains, don't know how much it'd get used. A cover would probably work up top, but with wind as well, I imagine the bottom would still get wet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...