UKC

How to install top-rope when I 'm alone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 06 May 2021

Hello, I would like to know how to install your top rope for children when you do not have other adults to ensure you from the ground.

Thanks by advance

Nicolas

muppetfilter 06 May 2021
In reply to Removed Usercalixtus06:

Choose a venue you can safely walk to the top of and rig your toprope, if you don't have the skills to do this its worth booking a wall to rock session with a local instructor to get some coaching.

Neil Williams 06 May 2021

The OP appears to be French, so may possibly mean sport routes as they're much more common there, and typically sport routes don't have top access?  If so I guess some sort of self-belay arrangement (e.g. involving a clipstick) would be needed.

Marek 06 May 2021
In reply to muppetfilter:

And remember: With top-roping children, their safety is 100% dependent on that single bit of construction at the top. How bomb-proof does that need to be? Do you know how to do it? Do you know the likely failure modes and how to mitigate them? Do you what is considered 'industry' best practice? If you can't answer 'yes' to all of the above, you need help.

Marek 06 May 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

> The OP appears to be French, so may possibly mean sport routes as they're much more common there, and typically sport routes don't have top access?  If so I guess some sort of self-belay arrangement (e.g. involving a clipstick) would be needed.

Ah, good spot! However, a clipstick is probably not enough - you still have to have self-belaying kit and know how to use it.

gravy 06 May 2021

If you don't know how to do this then my advice is find someone who does actually know to show you how (and don't listen to any advice here). 

While the theory is very easy to explain to experienced climbers there are many safety points that are not easy to explain on a forum like this and the consequences of getting it wrong are quite severe.

If you are an experienced climber then your basic options are:

"Safe methods"

- rig from the top if you have safe access

- clip the top anchor from the ground (short route or long clipstick)

- use a responsible child (with or without an ohm or ground anchor as appropriate)

- borrow another adult belayer to help you get to the top

- ask another climber to set up the top rope for you

"High level of skill/competence required to be safe"

- solo the route and set up a top rope

- clip up the route using a clip stick and set up a top rope

- self belay the route and set up a top rope

Assuming you can't use the first set of options you're in the realm of substantial risk and need to know what you are doing and have more than theoretical self-rescue skills because you need rig the TR anchor and get down safely.  Not for the inexperienced really.

Once you have one TR set up it's quite normal to access the next route sideways from the top if the routes are close enough and anchors are suitable. As with all top roping you should protect the lower off from wear which gives you the additional problem of how to remove your gear from the top on your own.

Post edited at 15:55
 Neil Williams 06 May 2021
In reply to Marek:

> Ah, good spot! However, a clipstick is probably not enough - you still have to have self-belaying kit and know how to use it.

Indeed, I didn't mean to say you'd just need a clipstick and nothing else

Generally if you're experienced enough to self-belay safely you'll be able to work out how to do it, and if you can't you're probably not experienced enough.  So perhaps back to the idea of the OP taking some training and building some experience first, I guess.

Marek 06 May 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Indeed, I didn't mean to say you'd just need a clipstick and nothing else

You probably could get up a well-bolted route pretty much risk-free with just a clip-stick and a lot of tedious tying/untying of knots. If you really had to.

Removed User 06 May 2021

In fact, I know how to secure myself with a self-locking (click upwards) when I climb alone on a top rope. I just bought an EVO beta key to facilitate the installation. But I wondered how the climbing teachers managed to set up ropes themselves in advance so that a group of children could then use these ropes. I was wondering if there were any other tips

Marek 06 May 2021

I every case I've seen, they just solo the route (often in trainers and a cigarette in one hand). Any childrens' route is trivial for a qualified climbing instructor.

Donotello 06 May 2021

Usually always use walls where there is a path to / from the top. Hense any near-road trad routes with an easily accessible top are usually wrecked. 

springfall2008 21 May 2021

It depends on the kids ages and abilities. I have my daughter belay me using a click-up and an ohm but she's 15 and has Nicas level 4.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...