UKC

how to tie off a belay plate....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Zillas 31 Jul 2012
this randomly showed up on the front page...

sorry guys. did anyone actually *see* that it's the wrong* bit of the rope that is being tied off ? it aint gonna work like that...

*it's the bit that will be under load, you need to tie off the other bit.
provided that you actually know how to properly use your belay plate...

sorry again for being a continental smartass )
 mcdougal 31 Jul 2012
In reply to Zillas:

No need to apologise, Zillas old boy. No-one understands what you're talking about anyway.
Zillas 31 Jul 2012
In reply to mcdougal: propably right. ) slainte mhath mcdougal !
Zillas 31 Jul 2012
 stonemaster 31 Jul 2012
In reply to Zillas: Ah, that's better. Looks alright as demonstrated. Are you saying that the knot should be tied using live rope while under load? Would love to see you try that. Good luck.
 mcdougal 31 Jul 2012
In reply to Zillas:

Do dheagh shlàinte to you too, mate.

Do you mean the 2 photos? They look alright to this particular bogus Scotsman!
 d_b 31 Jul 2012
In reply to Zillas:

Nope. That's spot on. You lock off the dead rope, and when you decide to release you are in a good position to carry on belaying.

I do exactly the same thing abseiling and if it didn't work I would now be dead.
needvert 01 Aug 2012
In reply to Zillas:

Looks fine to me.

Make sure you don't partly undo the screw gate while locking/unlocking like I did once....It was still locked but that 3/4 of a turn loose got me a dirty look from my partner. True story.
Zillas 01 Aug 2012
In reply to needvert:

Ah! I now see that the whole thing appears 90 degrees twisted on the photo as the krab is in the rope loop and not the belay loop of the harness.
that explains my confusion - for several reasons this is not something I would do, even if it is technically safe.the method to tie off is correct of course.

shame on me, i should have given the picture a second better look.
needvert 01 Aug 2012
In reply to Zillas:

Yeah...diagram would be simpler if he belayed off the belay loop.
 neilwiltshire 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Zillas: Why would you not belay off the rope loop? I always do this when multi-pitching.
 Mark Kemball 07 Aug 2012
In reply to neilwiltshire: Personally, I belay off both the belay loop and the rope loops. (I was once belaying off just the rope loops and my belay device disappeared into the void when I untied at the top.)
needvert 08 Aug 2012
In reply to neilwiltshire:

Some tie in knots capsize easily when you load just the loop, FoE w/ yosemite finish comes to mind.

This mentions it:
http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com.au/2008/11/figure-eight-follow-through....

There's a video around somewhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...