UKC

Ice Tools

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tony500 29 Oct 2013
Hi there... Looking some advice on what to buy and look for in ice tools...

I'm interested in a doing some winter mountaineering, ice climbing and in the feature alpine climbing.
I have been doing mountaineering for many years and training at the min on my ML and just registered on my SPA.
I have a lot to catch up and getting the hours and experience needed and learning new skills, the question I am asking is what advice would have on ice tools for climbing for someone new but also want within reason buying the best and something professional if you understand what I mean.

Thanks
T
In reply to Tony500: Petzl Quarks.
In reply to Tony500:

DMM Flys
 csw 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony500:

People seem to be letting go of old style flys quite a lot - you wouldn't go far wrong with a pair - Nuptse 12 point crampons from CT are excellent value too
 SteveoS 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony500:

Cheapest ones you can find
 scottie390 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony500: DMM flys are heavy and out dated. Petzl Quarks are what i use for alpine climbing up to TD and scottish winter on V,5 with no problems what so ever.
Tony500 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony500: hey thanks everyone for feedback
Tony500 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony500: BD Vipers OR Petzl Quarks?????? What to think?

Thanks
 BnB 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony500:
> (In reply to Tony500) BD Vipers OR Petzl Quarks?????? What to think?
>
> Thanks

You can't go wrong with either. Go swing them both in a shop and see which you like the feel of best. I prefer the Quarks, which are also more flexible for mountaineering use being easier to disassemble to use as a plunging (shaft) rather than stabbing (pick) tool.

To be fair, it is even more convenient to have an old, battered strictly mountaineering straight-shafted tool for easy days out. Pick one up on here for under £50. And then buy the technical pair that feels best in your hands.
 nniff 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony500:

What BnB said.

The answer is frequently whichever feels best to you. Don't make the mistake of trying the swing with bare hands - you need to be wearing your gloves to get a proper feel for how they fit in your hands. This is less important with plain handles, but becomes more so with fangs and other highly featured handles.

There's a lot of variation and there's no right answer. One tool will have a slightly different balance and swing to another - but each manufacturer believes that their balance etc are correct, so there's no wrong answer either. They're just different and each manufacturer makes their inevitable compromises in one direction or another.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.....
Tony500 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony500: het thanks all I do have my general mountaineering BD Raven tha I use... Jus looking tech ice tools... And as I said above I would like something professional and buy once if you know what I mean...

T
 wilkie14c 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony500: on the cheap but fully functional for the first few seasons - second hand flys.
Tony500 30 Oct 2013
In reply to wilkie14c: thanks for that reply...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...