UKC

If you could ask an Instructor/Coach any question what would it be?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 08 Jun 2022

So I am a mountaineering and climbing instructor, as well as having a MSc in Applied Sport Science. I have done a few coaching videos over the years, but I am starting to experiment with some live-streaming via facebook. At the moment I am just getting used to the technology, but I hope as it developed the stream will become more interactive, in that you can ask me a question live and via comments and I will attempt to answer it then or at a later date.

At the moment I am really looking for genuine questions so I can start with a few answers for the content. I will be looking in this and other forums for questions but feel free to email me or post the question below.

Pedro50 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Which would offer the easiest gain for a keen beginner?

Losing weight, getting stronger or improving technique.

Of the three I know which one I always suggest.

montyjohn 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Sorry, long one.

This this is more related to the applied sports science side of things.

I'd be interested to know some really simple exercises and a simple training programme to train your body to perform well for mountaineering.

So I'm thinking of methods of how to keep your exercises aerobic to increase performance from mitochondria and teach your body to metabolise fat stores etc but then also how to improve your VO2 max etc.

And then further to the above, what simple exercise to improve overall strength for mountaineering.

I find (at least as someone who doesn't have a background in sports/science) a lot of the information out there is either overly complicated (meaning too many different exercises, couldn't possible fit them all in, and wasn't sure if it was even important to) and then further to that, they often don't explain why you are doing them. What are we trying to improve and why do we need it.

For context, I'm training at the moment for mountaineering with long weighted walks to improve my aerobic fitness, trying to keep my heart weight fairly low, and doing high intensity weighted step ups to improve strength and heart performance.

I don't know if it's covering what I need, but it was my simple to execute plan based on far too many hours of reading contradicting stuff. For me to stick to it, it had to be simple, and clear what I was achieving from the exercise.

Fiona Reid 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

How to improve truly woeful flexibility? 

climbingpixie 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

What are the most common mistakes climbers make in terms of technique, mindset or training?

In reply to montyjohn:

Excuse my ignorance, but how on earth do you measure your heart weight?

neilh 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

I am amazed that trainers  like yourself do not deliberatley target older climbers who want to improve/ maintain exisiting fitness/ get back to previous standards etc.They are more likely to have the £ as well.

It all appears as though targetting is done to the new/younger end of the market.

Only an observation.

In reply to Pedro50:

Improving technique. If you are a keen beginner you will automatically lose weight and gain strength. If you are overweight when you start climbing your weight will naturally come down to a healthy BMI. 

Technique:

Footwork - do lots of slab (real friction) climbing.

Learn to climb cracks (jamming etc)

Body position particularly on overhanging rock.

Climbing walls are excellent for the last of these, poor for the first two. Bouldering is really good for all of them.

Pedro50 08 Jun 2022
In reply to John Stainforth:

I'm pleased we agree.

montyjohn 08 Jun 2022

> Excuse my ignorance, but how on earth do you measure your heart weight?

Remove it and....

"Rate"

In reply to montyjohn:

If you remove it, the rate measurement may be unreliable!

montyjohn 08 Jun 2022

It might slow it down a bit

Sealwife 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

How can I define what my weaknesses are to be able to address them?

BuzyG 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

What kit should I learn to use and carry, to enable me to navigate safely to the top of a typical uk mountain and back down. In poor visibility.

Marek 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

I'm struggling to see much value in 'live' streaming like this, but one thing you might consider in terms of video-based semi-interactive (i.e., not live) coaching is to accept submitted videos of people climbing (probably indoors and preferably known - to you - routes) and provide your analysis of where their best areas of improvement may lie. And how to achieve them. Much more likely to be useful than the usual context-free "Is strength more important than technique"-type questions.

OP Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Marek:

So Marek, this is one of the plans I hope to develop over time is people sending in their videos and helping them by analysing the video. It will take time though as I probably need to explain how to best film the climb so I can analyse it. I also hope that eventually it is not all 'out of context', as I did some livestreaming from a climbing wall with another streamer called Dale whose twitch feed was Shntiz I think. However with 4G and a iPhone I can pretty much stream from anywhere, so can add the context.

I am just playing around with the idea at the moment as I mothballed my coaching company for a couple of years and only getting back to it in the last month or so. As such I have some free time when I am not writing guidebooks, coaching or out climbing for myself.

Andy Hardy 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Do you have access to a model aeroplane and a treadmill?

Marek 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

> So Marek, this is one of the plans I hope to develop over time is people sending in their videos and helping them by analysing the video. It will take time though as I probably need to explain how to best film the climb so I can analyse it...

Sadly 'valuable' and 'easy' don't often overlap. Good luck - I look forward to seeing how it works out!

Post edited at 15:48
 Adam Perrett 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Carried over from this thread:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/using_anchors_on_sport_climbs-7...

"Did nobody teach you to sport climb correctly before you started teaching others?"

I was disappointed (as a sport climber and new-router) that sport climbing just wasn't covered in any way in my SPA training. We should start training our instructors to use fixed anchors properly and encourage new climbers to do the same.

Trythallj 08 Jun 2022
In reply to neilh:

> I am amazed that trainers  like yourself do not deliberatley target older climbers who want to improve/ maintain exisiting fitness/ get back to previous standards etc.They are more likely to have the £ as well.

> It all appears as though targetting is done to the new/younger end of the market.

> Only an observation.

Agree. Must be a big market for coaching keen climbers who hope to climb into old age. And also a growing market. Even some of our top "athletes" are knocking on a bit!

John (Age 74 and a half, and recovering from shoulder surgery)

OP Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Trythallj & neilh:

I would be very interested to hear how you think we/I can market better to the older end of the demographic. From a personal perspective, probably around 50% of my clients are in the 50+ category. 

gravy 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

How to stay motivated / hardened against the long term tedium of training?

[especially since most things out there to achieve already this are either bloody obvious (and therefore useless) or tedious in themselves]

Optimising limited time (and energy) vs motivation, efficacy and fatigue?

Olaf Prot 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

"What is your favourite biscuit?"

neilh 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

By revamping your marketing material to target..Get those clients to give testimonials etc.If they have been climbing for a long time get them to talk about this and how you have helped them.

The older generation for the most part has spending power and time.And often a willingness to learn new things to keep going!

Always amazed that climbing coaches do not latch onto this.

Your website makes no mention of what you have done for those  aged 50+ climbers.

Post edited at 10:20
 Flinticus 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Is that mountaineering or rock climbing / bouldering?

I'm just over 50 (and I started late, at 40) and a keen boulderer as well as indoor sport (there's a lack of intermediate outdoor sport climbs in Scotland: largely the scraps left over from a long history of trad - either too easy and short, crap or too difficult and so never developed for trad.)

I'd like to know how best to counteract the effects of age (on muscle gain, explosive power etc ) and maintain or even improve my grade long term.

Post edited at 10:38
 Trythallj 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

> I would be very interested to hear how you think we/I can market better to the older end of the demographic. From a personal perspective, probably around 50% of my clients are in the 50+ category. 

Not sure I know anything about marketing. But most coaching marketing I have seen seems to target "improvement", by which I think most would understand increasing grade. Lots of older climbers know they are unlikely to push their grade higher, but very much want to keep climbing without injuring themselves.

Interestingly, my physio (used to dealing with sportsmen, but not climbers) told me that, after six months physio with him, I should be able to gradually return to climbing, and should do this with the help of a climbing coach. Do climbing coaches have the expertise to supervise this sort of rehabilitation?

Ben Callard 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

> At the moment I am really looking for genuine questions so I can start with a few answers for the content.

Why am I so scared all the time?

Flinticus 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Ben Callard:

Putin?

The monster under your bed?

olddirtydoggy 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

When your passion becomes your job, does it ruin it?

Morty 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

>  I am starting to experiment with some live-streaming via facebook.

I'd focus on apre-live-stream relaxation for yourself - you'll probably need it after fielding all of the technical issues, stupid questions and trying to mask the inevitable massive fart you do in the middle of it.

C Witter 10 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

A few ideas...

- Development from "intermediate" to "advanced" trad

Everyone and their uncle climbs VS/HVS and occasionally extends themselves to E1, but how do you get solid on E2/E3 with limited time and limited courage?!

- Busting plateaus

Same but for font 6C and French 6c/7a... these seem to be sticky grades.

- Dealing with/avoiding injury

As this haunts middle-aged people with ambitions to improve...

- Micro-level focus on technique

Everyone knows they should improve their technique but it's often  tricky to know how once you reach a certain level.

- Value of consolidation/mileage within your abilities or pushing yourself (in various contexts)?

None of these are particularly novel, but it seems it's hard to coach trad in-depth and beyond a fairly basic entry level. I've not seen lots of good stuff out there on this.

Also... dealing with specific scenarios, e.g. accessing intimidating sea cliffs, e.g. North Stack or Lundy; dealing with stuck ropes;  coping with bold routes; loose rock and vegetation, including what/how to remove and when to not remove; using/reliability of micronuts and marginal protection, e.g. skyhooks; moving faster on big crags; considerations when climbing with novices; value of other approaches, e.g. headpointing versus onsighting.

Also... route/venue recommendations away from the beaten path?!

Just throwing stuff out there

aln 11 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

I'd ask why you begin your posts with a superfluous 'So'.

wercat 11 Jun 2022
In reply to aln:

> I'd ask why you begin your posts with a superfluous 'So'.

A la mode?

AlH 11 Jun 2022
In reply to Adam Perrett:

> I was disappointed (as a sport climber and new-router) that sport climbing just wasn't covered in any way in my SPA training. We should start training our instructors to use fixed anchors properly and encourage new climbers to do the same.

You will be pleased to hear that its been trained and assessed (or should be) since SPA became RCI 2 years ago.

Siderunner 14 Jun 2022

> I'd ask why you begin your posts with a superfluous 'So'.

So ukclimbing.

(Gets coat …)

Mark Edwards 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Fiona Reid:

> How to improve truly woeful flexibility? 

Do a search on ‘martial arts flexibility training’ for somewhere to start. It’s going to take time (1-2 years, plus), so don’t go crazy at the start, or you will hurt yourself, and so defeating the object. Personally I found that sitting on the floor with your legs spread wide and reading the newspaper between your legs helped.

Fiona Reid 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Edwards:

Thank you, I'll have a look at that. Any amount  improvement would help.  

tlouth7 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

I only climb indoors with ropes very infrequently. I find I get pumped out and scared to pull slack to allow me to clip. How do I persuade wall owners that it is reasonable to provide lead walls that are not dramatically overhanging?

Philb1950 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

I’m amazed I got as far as I did on my own, when I read all this. How many UK hard routes have been pioneered by anyone who ever went on a course. Not many if any, so who taught them and showed them what to do? Their exploits are way above what most instructors and guides can achieve, again with notable exceptions. I remember Alan ( Richard) McArdy saying to me he thought guides should be able to solo E3, though I’m not sure he was serious. One possible very tentative exception may be Simon Nadin ( for wall climbers Google him and Richard) who visited Whitehall whilst at school.

Mlewis 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Today I got my rope stuck after retrieving an abseil. Are there any do's don't to reduce the likelihood of a rope getting stuck? 

The moment it stopped moving I pulled really hard on it, probably should have spent some time jiggling it before I resorted to pulling?

kevin stephens 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Mark Reeves:

> I would be very interested to hear how you think we/I can market better to the older end of the demographic. From a personal perspective, probably around 50% of my clients are in the 50+ category. 

I think a big factor for us in our 60s and beyond is loss of physical conditioning.

as for marketing to oldies, pop down to AW Sheffield 10:00 to 15:00 any Friday

Alex Riley 15 Jun 2022
In reply to Philb1950:

Jerry Moffat?

aln 19 Jun 2022
In reply to Siderunner:

> So ukclimbing.

> (Gets coat …)

So. UKclimbing...

Get it right.

kevin stephens 19 Jun 2022
In reply to Mlewis:

> Today I got my rope stuck after retrieving an abseil. Are there any do's don't to reduce the likelihood of a rope getting stuck? 

> The moment it stopped moving I pulled really hard on it, probably should have spent some time jiggling it before I resorted to pulling?

use a single overhand knot with long tails

Mlewis 19 Jun 2022
In reply to kevin stephens:

It was just one rope with no knots, it just fell behind a flake. 

kevin stephens 19 Jun 2022
In reply to Mlewis:

Ah, just bad luck then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...