UKC

Need a book to teach me stuff (terminology, how to etc)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fraidycat 11 Nov 2012
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a book that explains all the terminology in rock climbing / bouldering (example, lead climbing, soloing, etc) plus some tips on how (for example safe belaying, climbing technique, how to use and look after gear etc). I climb at High Sports here in Plymouth and it seems if you wanna learn anything you have to get your wallet out = dangerous and expensive.
 Skip 11 Nov 2012
In reply to fraidycat:
most, if not all that info can be found on this site
 BoulderyDave 12 Nov 2012
In reply to fraidycat: trad climbing+ or sports climbing+ are the two best books I have read. Both by Rockfax

another_mark 12 Nov 2012
In reply to fraidycat: The Libby Peters and/or Trad climbing+
 Tom Last 12 Nov 2012
In reply to another_mark:
> (In reply to fraidycat) The Libby Peters and/or Trad climbing+

Good call. Both good books, the Libby Peters book is probably the more in-depth of the two.
 GridNorth 12 Nov 2012
In reply to fraidycat: Aren't there any clubs in your area? Getting someone experienced to show you is probably the best way to learn.
 Cheese Monkey 12 Nov 2012
In reply to GridNorth: Definitely agree with this. Maybe not clubs but anyone that has a bit of experience can show you the basics
 Skyfall 12 Nov 2012
In reply to fraidycat:

There is a lot of good stuff on here. Click on Articles at the top bar, and select Climbing Skills.

This one is tongue in cheek so don't take it as gospel but there aree some pearls of wisdom in there too...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=37
Jamming Dodger 12 Nov 2012
In reply to fraidycat: Ive got Eric Horst's Training for Climbing if anybody wants to buy.
 tlm 12 Nov 2012
In reply to fraidycat:

Here is an explanation of all the terminology in rock climbing:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=33
 Skyfall 12 Nov 2012
In reply to tlm:

That's the one i was actually lookiing for !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...