UKC

Needing advice on starting out!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Smith17 26 Sep 2012
Hi I'm 17 and live in Kent, I really want to get into climbing and mountaineering, I just don't know where to start. I've been top roping with my parents for a while, but I want to move on and learn more skills. Has anyone got any tips on starting out?

Thanks in advance

Connor
 stonemaster 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Smith17: Kent, hmm, sandstone only until you are more mobile. Good luck.
 AdCo82 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Smith17:

Maybe get on a course at somewhere like Plas Y Brenin?
Smith17 26 Sep 2012
In reply to stonemaster: Kents probably the worst place for climbing in uk, however!! Passed my theory today so one step closer to freedom & more climbing!
Smith17 26 Sep 2012
Thanks I'll have a look
 silhouette 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Smith17: you don't say where in Kent. However I wouldn't waste time waiting for a driving licence; there are plenty of crags easily accessible by train and bus. I would not get hung up on expensive fancy training courses. Is there a bouldering wall convenient? If you start going somewhere like that and start talking to people you'll pick up loads of info quickly. Thirdly, have you thought about just advertising for a partner on here?; maybe someone with a bit of experience who wants to progress. Just a few thoughts.
 SimonCRMC 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Smith17:

Maybe check out clubs - there are some in London, not sure about Kent, but you could probably find out via the BMC website. They tend to welcome keen newcomers. Also find a local climbing wall and put up a request for a climbing partner and/or do the same on here. There are plenty of people with experience who seem happy to help relative novices get some mileage.
HTH
Simon
Joe McKay 07 Oct 2012
In reply to Smith17:

http://youtube.com/mikebarter387

everything you need to know

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...