UKC

New Climber Advice | Be Kind!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TheMammut 25 Sep 2019

Hi All,

Firstly, thank to all you guys that selflessly help people like me who are less experienced in climbing for no gain of your own (apart from some mild satisfaction )

OK so, let me explain my question. I’m a new-ish climber. By that I mean I have done a few outdoor climbs, reasonably technical in nature and have been told I can read a rock face pretty well as a beginner. i have a good standard of fitness. I have done some indoor climbing Too - but I have to say, I don’t really enjoy it nearly as much as outdoor climbing. 

I am based in west London, but am lucky enough to have quite a bit of spare time and travel a lot - so what I’m really looking for is advice on really good courses that are going to give me a really good, quick basis to cover off some of the gaps in my Existing beginner knowledge from having had no formal training - but also allow me to advance pretty quickly too.

im fairly flexible as to where I go - and can even go to other places in Europe if that is better too.

Any help/ guidance you can give would be fantastic!

EarlyBird 25 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

Have a look at Plas y Brenin or Glenmore Lodge courses.

barry donovan 25 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

Look up the AMI freelance list and take your pick - save yourself a 500 mile drive to north wales or even further - and get a real deal on the money.  

deacondeacon 25 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

What sort of experience do you have already? Are you top roping outdoors or leading outdoors?

West London you can get to the Peak District, Avon or Southern sandstone for the (Long) day. I'd recommend just going climbing as much as possible, potentially meeting people from this forum if yore a safe competent belayer.

No better way of learning than getting stuck in  

In reply to barry donovan:

500 miles to Wales!! 😕 Stop using SatNav! 😆

full stottie 25 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

+1 for what Barry Donovan says. You'll get loads out of using an individual instructor at a time and place that suits your movements. Go to https://www.mountain-training.org/membership/ami/find-an-instructor and you can use a clickable map to find someone. So for example if you find yourself in the North and North East of England, both Jon Punshon and Cliff Lowther have excellent reputations.

The courses at Plas-y-Brenin are generally good, but less individually tailored than with an AMI person, unless you prefer the group dynamic.

Hope this helps

Dave

GHawksworth 25 Sep 2019
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Watford to Llanberis round trip is 513 miles...

Ann S 25 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:  

I would certainly recommend you get some instruction both in climbing technique and rope work skills. Some years ago I had a weekend in Wales looking for technique improvement with Mark Reeves. Excellent. Then when you have done a course I would really recommend that you think about joining a climbing club. As you are based in London you should be spoiled for choice. Ask on here for recommendations for clubs who are welcoming to young new climbers.

Mick Ward 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Ann S:

> Some years ago I had a weekend in Wales looking for technique improvement with Mark Reeves. Excellent.

Agree. There are a load of good people out there. But I have never encountered anyone with such insight and wisdom about climbing as Mark.

Mick

alx 25 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

Doug Scott occasionally lectures in London.

In reply to GHawksworth:

So not 500 miles to Wales then. I'll admit to pedantry - your total is for a return. 257 miles from Watford TO Llanberis. Having driven all across this island I know how far/near places are, hence the 😆😕 icons indicating a gentle tug of the leg

Pero 26 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

It really depends how much time and money  you want to spend.  This time of year the opportunities to reinforce what you've learned are more limited.  And you are more likely to get decent weather in the Peak District at this time of year than in the mountains. 

You could go for a one-two day course in the Peak: placing gear, doing belays, ropework etc.  As others have said, there are lots of independent climbing instructors out there.

Alternatively, there are several companies in the Costa Blanca that do week-long courses.  The weather is a lot more reliable there.

Post edited at 16:33
 barry donovan 26 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

Or the sunny South west - Dartmoor can be sunny and warm on New Years Day (that first day in January right ? ) - don’t know the mileage but remember if you drive down there you will need to drive back home after other wise you get a bit stuck. 

chris687 26 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

Hi there, 

I just sent you a message, it may have gone to your spam filter as ukc tends to do.

Alex Riley 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Pero:

You could get the best of both worlds, a weeks climbing in costa Blanca with mark reeves, google sunnier climbs for more info.

TheMammut 27 Sep 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

Hi All,

thanks for all that really helpful information. I’ve reached out to a few on the AMI website and I think that’s a great idea joining a climbing club in future too.

Yes, a shame about the weather at the moment isn’t it

climber34neil 10 Oct 2019
In reply to TheMammut:

You could always come to the 2019 white goods dry tool meet and change your life forever once you discover the wonderful world of dry tool climbing! Check out the premier post for the link and more info!

ianstevens 10 Oct 2019
In reply to climber34neil:

> You could always come to the 2019 white goods dry tool meet and change your life forever once you discover the wonderful world of dry tool climbing! Check out the premier post for the link and more info!

This person is new to climbing... possibly the worst suggestion of the week! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...