UKC

New to climbing-nobody to climb with

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lennyb182 05 Mar 2014
Hi there,

I've recently passed my belay test and although I love climbing, my mates don't share the same passion! So I was wondering if you guys knew anywhere that would be happy to have a newcomer to their group, and also of any outdoor climbing places around the West Midlands because I'd like to do as much outdoor stuff as indoor walls.

Thanks in advance
 krikoman 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Lennyb182:

Fill some details on your profile, most people like to have some idea about the people they offer to climb with.
 Neil Williams 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Lennyb182:

Go bouldering somewhere that also has roped climbing, you might meet people there? Redpoint is around your part of the world and is good, so is Creation.

Neil
Lennyb182 05 Mar 2014
Thanks krikoman, profile updated so hopefully that should help !

Neil red point is where I took my belay test and is where I will be mainly climbing I think, I just don't want to get limited to indoor climbing. Hopefully I'll meet some people there!
 Neil Williams 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Lennyb182:

I would think so, it's a friendly wall IMO.

Neil
 David Coley 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Lennyb182:

Must climbing clubs in the area would be happy to have you join them.
 chris85 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Lennyb182:

Theres a few spots in wales or down bristol way which are good for bouldering if you are into that. I might head somewhere on Saturday (weather permitting) to boulder, you are more than welcome to join if i do.

It sounds like you have just started, so i wouldnt worry about climbing indoors for the time being, its an easier place to learn, but, out doors is where its at! And the more you climb indoors, the more people you will meet, so dont worry it will happen!

chris
 caradoc 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Lennyb182:
The Wrekin Mountaineering Club based around Telford/Shrewsbury might be a starting point. Have a look at the website, beginners are welcome.
Lennyb182 05 Mar 2014
In reply to chris85:

Cheers Chris, I may take you up on that offer for Saturday. Just keep in one that I've never bouldered before ey 👍but there is only one way to learn !

Although I think I will hit redpoint tonight to see how I get on.

Lenny
In reply to Lennyb182:

Hi Lenny, would be happy to accompany you if you fancy giving Peak grit a try. Alternate weekends free & lots of weekdays too. Feel free to get in touch if you have time to play out!! Nik 07788137462
Lennyb182 05 Mar 2014
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Thanks nik, that sounds good. Though because I'm new, I don't have any rope or equipment, apart from the obvious harness etc for indoor climbing!

Lenny
In reply to Lennyb182:

That's all you need to get going- I have ropes & rack of gear. You can begin by seconding a couple of routes, getting a feel for rock/gear/belays etc. Soon enough you will be wanting to get on the sharp end.
 benny_m 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Lennyb182:

Hiya Lenny,
I'm from Solihull mountaineering club, we climb every tuesday at creation, every thursday at Birmingham bouldering centre and redpoint, we have a good member base covering all levels of climbing, as well as mountain biking, mountaineering etc. if you want to meet up one evening let me know and we can get it sorted, always interested in meeting new enthusiastic people
Cheers, Ben
Lennyb182 05 Mar 2014
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Thanks Nik, that sounds great, I'll drop you a message over the next couple of days and hopefully sort something out 👍

Ben,

Your offer sounds great, so yeah we should sort out a time for meeting up and sorting some stuff out that'd be great !!

Thanks guys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...