UKC

New to rock climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NikLong 17 Nov 2017
Hi, I am completely new to climbing, have done some when I was a kid but not much in my adult life (I am 23) and looking to get into it for the long term. Any suggestions on where to start? Several climbing centres near me offering courses but not sure what to go for really? Thanks in advance .
 snoop6060 17 Nov 2017
In reply to NikLong:

Where you based? Indoors is the usual route these days. Not sure you need a course but wouldn't hurt. Just go bouldering until you meet someone keen for some routes. Learn to belay, buy a trad rack, climb el cap. Roughly
 dr_botnik 17 Nov 2017
In reply to NikLong:

Often you have to do an intro course at most climbing walls... Good way to meet other people.

Main skills you need to be competent at an indoor wall: tie in to the rope (figure 8) and belay.

I think even bouldering walls require some sort of induction process for insurance reasons these days so worth booking on one where you actually learn all the roped stuff too.

If you're still short on people to climb with, try looking for groups or clubs that meet. But it'd be worth going on a course first.

There are more expensive and more advanced courses out there, but for starters just get an induction at a local wall, once you've been regularly climbing for a few weeks you'll be better placed to go on a more advanced course
GoneFishing111 17 Nov 2017
In reply to NikLong:

Im 28 and joined a club this year, i was worried the existing members would want to teach a newbie but i couldn't of been more wrong, they have been great so my suggestion is to contact a club.

I was going to go down the course route but its expensive and a bit pointless of afterwards you still have no-one to climb with.

Where are you based?
 Trangia 17 Nov 2017
In reply to NikLong:

Try the British Mountaineering Council

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/find-a-club

See if there is a club near you.Many clubs welcome beginners

Good luck
In reply to NikLong:
I would go to your closest big(ish) climbing wall, talk to the staff and climbers and keep eyes peeled to the notice boards at as clubs of all types will probably advertise and knock about there.

Could you share with us what recent experience has put your focus back to climbing?
Post edited at 17:20
NikLong 17 Nov 2017
In reply to NikLong:

Thanks for the replies, all very helpful. I am looking at doing a beginners induction at a climbing centre near me in Manchester, so hopefully that will get me started.
 MattSpider 17 Nov 2017
In reply to NikLong:

Hi if your Manchester based id recommend MCC. I’ve a few friends and collegues I’ve introduced to the world of Climbing there. your more than welcome to join us one evening.
NikLong 22 Nov 2017
In reply to MattSpider:
Thanks, I have been for an introductory session there with a couple of friends, they are less keen to continue than me unfortunately. I'm very much up for becoming a member and carrying on but now I'm stuck with no one to climb with!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...