UKC

Novice climber North West keen to get climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spacecadetjake 23 Feb 2013
Hi there,

I'm a 40 yr old novice looking for help with indoor/outdoor climbing. I've done some top roping with my wife at my local indoor wall. I've just come back from El Chorro where I did 4 days climbing. I managed to do some leading up to 6b, I also did a 4 pitch route, this was all with a guide. So I have a bit of an idea but I'm far from a climber.

I'm looking to climb and learn as much as possible as fast as free time/cash will allow.

I have a harness and shoes, I've just got a sling, some carabiners and a belay device. I'm trying to build my kit up but most importantly I'm keen and willing to learn.

If anyone can help with clubs,buddies,training or how to progress that would be really cool!

If anyone fancies a bit of a laugh at a chubby old geeza out of his depth send me a message.

Basically I just wanna climb so will take anything, sounds desperate maybe but there ya go I'm a wannabe climbing whore ha ha

Thanks in advance
Jake

alpinismo.uk 17 Mar 2013
In reply to spacecadetjake:

might be able to help, am able to take you and / or your partner out for a few days to give you some info on trad climbing if you are interested, lakes, or wales, as l will be heading down there a lot.
l have just finished work, and will be looking to climb with people for the next few months, prob best to give it a week or two for the weather to settle, then am on for getting out.

cheers deb
In reply to spacecadetjake: If you're ever in the North Wales area, drop me a message. I'd be happy to teach you the ways of the Trad Climber.

Rog Wilko 17 Mar 2013
In reply to spacecadetjake: You might benefit from joining a club.
http://www.lancashirecavingandclimbingclub.co.uk/home/ might suit you.
 Pero 17 Mar 2013
In reply to spacecadetjake: I like the idea of a "novice" leading 6b! I've never got beyond 6a even on a top rope! I think I'll go weep into my chalk bag!
 luke glaister 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Pero: Haha where's the like button. I was thinking the same.
johnboy87 18 Mar 2013
i live near preston,not to far from clitheroe if it's anywhere near yourself.I feel i should return the favour as when i started tradding i was fortunate enough for someone to teach me the jedi ways.if your free and we eventually get some good weather, i'm happy to take you out.
 BnB 20 Mar 2013
In reply to spacecadetjake: I'm also making early steps on rock after years in the mountains (snow has always been my thing). Now looking for buddies with whom to climb midweek, work on my (lack of) skills as well as enjoy the outdoors. I'm on the Yorks/Lancs border so well located for grit, granite and limestone, even N Wales. I have a basic rack and 50m half rope, plus belay experience from multipitching moderate ice climbing grades.,

Jake, can you make it out midweek?

Anyone else willing to take an enthusiastic duffer out midweek?
 Rog Wilko 20 Mar 2013
In reply to BnB: Last year I started a group called Lakes Midweek Climbers tow which about 50 people signed up. It uses a yahoo group email to make dates. Possibly owing to awful weather it didn't get off to a cracking start last year, but it may get moving this spring. If you want to join in, let me know.
Otherwise, email me if you don't get any better offers.
 Ellie79 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Also try looking at Facebook page "Lakeland Climbers with a day off" for others to get out with
In reply to spacecadetjake: I only just saw these posts! I thought I'd have got emails telling me someone had replied sorry! I checked for weeks but lost heart thinking I had no replies but tons of views.

Thanks for the posts and the people who have emailed me! Really shocked and chuffed, thanks.

I'm going out the next 2 weekends then I'm off to Antalya for a week, with any luck I can sponge some climbing there too. I forgot to say I live in Wigan but I'm willing to travel anywhere. Will be light nights soon so if anyone who lives near by is up for climbing, I'll be game too!

I've emailed Lancashire climbing and caving club and I've just joined the Facebook group thanks.

I'm even more keen now with all these replies and I promise to return the favour if I ever get competent.

CHEERS
Jake
johnboy87 20 Mar 2013
i remember how that felt being excited about getting out tradding for the first time.puts a smile on my face thinking about it. well like you said the clocks will be going back soon so as long as the weather is good i usually try and get out most nights after work. i climb at a place called troy quarry, (very small, have a look on google) but great for getting started out.it's on grane road of the m65 near blackburn. So if your still up for getting out in a couple weeks then by all means drop me a message and we can meet up.bye the way i climb with my girlfriend (she's the best belayer) so if you want to bring your partner then it's all good.
In reply to johnboy87: yeah we will be up for that mate.

That's not far from us, will definitely give you s shout over the next few weeks!

Cheers
Jake
 Neil Williams 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Pero:

Join the club! I can just about top-rope some 6bs and I've been climbing regularly for 3 years, and I definitely wouldn't lead one.

Neil
 Rog Wilko 21 Mar 2013
In reply to johnboy87: Unless you want some difficult rendezvous I'd be the same as everyone else and put your clock forward. ;oD
johnboy87 21 Mar 2013
oops :s you all knew what i meant anyway lol Jake if you want to pm me i will give you my mobile number so we can sort something when you are free.
In reply to johnboy87: I had to read that post 3 times till I realise the mistake so I reckon we would have both been getting head torches out and wondering where everybody was!!!

Yeah I'll pm you once I work out how to do it ha ha

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...